Chapter 50 : The Brothel

Naina dragged two large plastic bags full of snacks on the road as if they had wheels under them. She knew that she had overstocked, but she couldn't help seeing rows of colorful snacks and an access to a billionaire's credit card. When the supermarket staff had swiped the card and she punched in her birthdate which was his password, she felt her joy evaporate and leave emptiness behind. Naina always perceived herself as someone shameless who could kill for money, but suddenly, she felt guilty even spending her husband's money.

"Damn it, should have come in a car," she muttered to herself as a can of coca cola dropped from the bag, rolling down the road till it hit the shoe of a skinny man. The skeleton man was dressed in his loose rags and jeans with a cap lowered that covered his protruding eyes and pointy nose. Naina, unbothered about her life, waited for him to give the can to her in the dark street.

Bony fingers gripped the can and stretched towards her, before Naina could take it from him, she noticed blood underneath his nails.

"Naina!" A familiar voice called out, followed by a honk. "Why didn't you ask the driver to accompany you?" The skeleton man disappeared as fast as Mr India, leaving a perplexed Naina facing her husband in his Mercedes. Ahanay immediately got down, forcefully taking the bags from her even when she refused. Noticing her stubbornly scowling face, he frowned, that sexy frown of his. "What happened to my little demon? Are you upset that my business trip took long?"

"I'm upset you came back," Naina thought, not uttering a word.

Sighing, he wrapped his free hand around her waist, pulling her to his car and opening the backseat. To her surprise, the entire backseat resembled a little garden with bright bouquets of flowers in all shades of colour that could ever exist. Was he starting some gardening business?

"These are all for you," he said, a handsome smile curving his lips.

"I will kill Naina, I promise you. Just give me a couple of more days. I need to earn her trust, buy her some flowers, show her some love." Oh God, the recording was coming true.

"I hate flowers," Naina lied, slamming the door shut.

"I have got you more stuff---"

"I don't need any of it," she cut him off cruelly.

"Alright," he breathed, his nostrils flaring in irritation. "We'll talk about this at home. Get in the car."

"No."

"I didn't ask," he said, quickly sweeping her off her feet and for a second, Naina thought this was it. He would throw her down the road to crack her head open. It would take him minutes to dispose of her body, and nobody would come to look for her. Naina had chainsawed her relationships with her parents and friends, she had only Ahanay left. And he wanted to kill her.

To her surprise, he hurled her inside the car instead of down the road and firmly shut the door. Naina noticed a father and a daughter walking at a distance and was pulled into an epiphany- of course, he couldn't kill her in front of them. As she felt her body relax, the fragrance of flowers from the backseat was making her drowsy. There was something special mixed in that fragrance otherwise...

"I'm sorry, I had to do this," Ahanay's words echoed in her ears as he closed her eyes.

* * *

Ohas pocketed his hands as he strode across the street, ignoring women in skimpy clothes under the streetlights, trying to pull him into one of those dingy rooms to show him a good time. In his mind, montages of Priya played like a movie, her sitting by the table, her making tea for him, her standing naked on her toes and kissing him. He adjusted his pants at the last image, walking stiffly to the brothel.