Chapter 49: Banana Milkshakes

New Years had just passed and El had noticed Jamie asking to go out with Max more often. She knew they were friends so she didn't mind but it was odd to her how she now wanted to hang out so often, especially now that their show was over.

But she didn't worry about it much, Christmas was amazing and they both went back to Hawkins for a week, spending Christmas at both Lucas' new house and with Joyce. Max had seen her mum while walking down the street but she didn't see her and so she didn't try to strike conversation. She barely thought of her mum like a protective figure in her life, she had watched her get hurt so many times and made no effort to help. Plus she was sure that if they tried to rekindle their relationship her and Neil would just try to mooch off her now she was successful.

Hopper had moved in with the Byers the previous year but still visited the cabin often to make sure everything was okay. Plus he could never sell it, the memories there were irreplaceable.

Right now she was Billie's house in New York since Max was out, laughing with her in the kitchen as they attempted to make homemade vegan milkshakes.

"How do people milk almonds?" She wondered, reading the back of the carton as Billie opened a pack of baby carrots, washing them before eating a couple.
"Did you just ask me how people milk almonds?" She asked, almost choking on the vegetable as she laughed. "You ground them with water."
"Oh." El giggled, "Okay anyway, that does not look good." She said, looking at the stuff in the blender, "We definitely added way too many bananas."
"Bananas thicken it up." Billie told her, plugging it in. "It's the best we could do without ice-cream."
"I can't believe they didn't even have one brand of vegan ice-cream." El said.

Billie smiled as she turned the blender on, the ingredients mixing.

A few seconds passed and she opened it, mixing it with a spoon. "Is this good?" She asked Jane.
She peered inside, "Too thick, it has to go up a straw at least." Billie nodded and put the lid back on, turning it on for a few more seconds.

They opened it up again and Billie grabbed two glasses, pouring equal amounts in each. "K, just try this." She said, handing El her glass with a metal straw.
She hesitantly drank from it, her eyes widening slightly. "Holy shit!"
"Good, right?" Billie laughed as she put everything in the sink to wash later, "Come on, let's watch something."

———

The two had finished their movie and Billie decided to ask a question that had been in her mind for a little while.

"Are you and Max okay?" She asked her.
El looked at her, her eyebrows furrowed, "Of course, why?"
"Nothing, I just- I don't know." She shrugged, "It's not my place."
"Come on, tell me." Eleven urged her. 
"I just think it's a little weird how often her friend is asking her to go out these days. You told me she never used to before, right? Like when they were actually working together?"
"Yeah, it is kinda weird." She nodded, "But if Max wants to hang out with her, I can't stop her from seeing her friends. I mean, I'm here with you right now."

Billie nodded, "I know, I completely get that. But you're not worried? Even after she was saying all those things in the messages?"
Jane shook her head, "I was at first but not anymore. I've known her for like almost an entire decade, it would be crazy not to trust her."

"Ah, that's true." She agreed, "And speaking of girlfriend's, I think I need to get one. I'm too lonely these days." She sighed.
"But I thought you had two already?" Jane joked, laughing as Billie slapped her arm.
"Shut up about that! Also, that actually reminded me. Quen and Odessa are coming over on Valentine's Day."
"Ooh." El smiled, earning herself a look.
"Oh shush. If you're free, which I'm guessing you won't be because it's like love day," Billie said, "They wanna meet you. They're staying from the 13th to the 16th."
"They wanna meet me?" She wondered, surprised. "I'll be free one of the days."
"Good." Billie smiled, "Anyway, you know who else wants to see you?" She asked, standing up. "Shark!" El giggled as the big dog immediately jumped up onto her, moving her head as she scratched behind his ears.

———

Max laughed, the sun setting as she walked into the club with Jamie by her side. "It's getting kinda late, I should make sure Jane's okay." She said, pulling her phone out as the music blasted in her ears.
Jamie snatched her phone from her, powering it off before handing it back. "She's fine, come on let's have fun already!" She said, dragging her over to the bar.
"Oh no, I don't drink." Max rejected the drink from her.
"Seriously? Not even a shot?" She asked, taking it. "You don't need alcohol to have fun, huh?"
"No way, okay enough vodka." Max took the shots away, "Let's dance!"

Jamie grinned and followed her, glad Max had forgiven her and now seemed a lot more comfortable. She bit her lip as she saw Max dancing, immediately going over and dancing with her, careful not to cross any boundaries so she wouldn't mess this up. Max was going out with her more often, they were spending so much time together. Every time they hung out Jamie's craving for her grew and grew, and by now it was almost impossible not to act on it. She seemed to look even better each time she saw her, she wanted to show her fun her girlfriend had likely stopped doing as time went by. She wanted to be new, exciting to the girl.

Jane could share just once, couldn't she? One night wouldn't hurt, she'd never even have to know.