46. Time turns flames to embers

"Sophie?"

"Yeah?" She turned to look at Aimee.

"I love you dearly, but do you not have somewhere else to be rather than sitting here with me? Like with your husband or at work?" Aimee asked.

Sophie had been hanging around all week for no apparent reason. As much as Aimee was enjoying the chance to catch up with her sister, it seemed odd that she didn't have somewhere else she needed to be.

Sophie shrugged. "I haven't seen you for three years. Excuse me for wanting to spend some time with you." She rolled her eyes.

"You know that's not what I meant." Aimee protested.

"I know, I'm joking." Sophie laughed.

They'd fallen back into idle chatter about everything they'd missed in each other's lives over the last few years, Aimee carefully skirting around the subject of Tom. They had a lot to catch up on.

It was nearly lunch time when there was a knock at the door. Sophie sprung up to answer it. "I'll get it."

****

Lando found himself in unfamiliar territory, knocking on the door of what he sincerely hoped was the right house or he was going to have a lot of explaining to do.

His heart was pounding in his chest as he twisted his car keys nervously in his hand, waiting for an answer after he knocked.

After what felt like a lifetime, but was probably in reality less than a minute, the door swung open. He was met with someone who could only be Aimee's sister, the spitting image of her just a few years older.

"Sophie?" He asked hesitantly.

"You actually came." Sophie raised an eyebrow. Instead of opening the door to let him inside though, she stepped outside, closing the door behind her.

Lando looked at her in confusion.

"I didn't tell Aimee I'd invited you." Sophie admitted.

"Oh." Lando shouldn't have been surprised, he had thought as much from the way Sophie had spoken and the fact he still hadn't heard from Aimee. But it left a very real possibility that he'd come all the way here and she still might not want to see him.

"It'll be fine, if she wants to be mad at someone she can be mad at me." Sophie waved a hand dismissively. "What are sisters for if not to drag your hot sort of boyfriend out to surprise you."

"I don't... we're not..." Lando grappled for the words.

"Oh save it, she's done nothing but talk about how wonderful you are since she got back." Sophie laughed. "Even if you're not together now, it's going to happen."

"You have a lot more belief in that than I do." Lando muttered.

"Yeah well, when it happens you'll owe me." Sophie smiled. "My husband's always wanted to come to a race."

"Consider it done." Lando laughed quietly. "Thank you, for this. I was starting to think I'd never see her again."

"She's scared and confused, but she does love you. I think she just needs to realise that." Sophie said softly. "She deserves to be happy."

"So, did your master plan extend beyond getting me here?" Lando asked. "Because I can hardly say I was just passing. It's miles away from Woking and my parents."

"I am going to admit that I didn't really think that far ahead." Sophie admitted. "Maybe she'll be so surprised to see you she won't ask?"

Lando gave her a dubious look. "If you say so."

"Come on." Sophie put her hand on the door. "You ready?"

"As I'll ever be." Lando muttered.

He followed behind Sophie, almost hiding behind her as she walked back into the house. His heart was pounding in his chest and he suddenly had absolutely no idea what he was going to say. Everything he'd thought of on the drive up from his parents house vanished the second he crossed the threshold.

"Aimee, I've got you a surprise." Sophie said, stopping in the doorway.

"What do you mean you've got me a surprise?" Aimee asked. The sound of her voice had Lando's stomach doing a flip.

Sophie stepped into the room and looked back at him, which Lando eventually realised was his cue to follow her.

"Surprise?" Sophie offered as Aimee stared back and forth between the two of them with a look of disbelief.

"What... how? Why are you here?" She mumbled. "I don't understand."

"I called him." Sophie explained. "You two need to talk, this whole thing is ridiculous, and you were clearly never going to do it yourself, Aim. So I did the hard part for you."

"I can go if..." Lando trailed off. He couldn't read the way Aimee was looking at him.

"No chance." Sophie shook her head. "I will be the one leaving so you two can talk. Mum and Dad are out for the day. Take advantage of the peace and quiet. Sort yourselves out."

Sophie was already backing out of the room, mouthing something at Aimee that Lando couldn't catch.

The sound of the front door slamming signified that she'd left, and it was just the two of them, staring at each other awkwardly. Neither of them even knew where to begin.

"You can sit down." Aimee said eventually. Lando had remained rooted to his spot in the doorway.

He nodded, taking a couple of steps forward slowly, sitting himself in the arm chair opposite where Aimee was sitting.

"I'm going to put the kettle on." Aimee said slowly. "Do you want a drink?" She needed to stall for a minute, give her brain a chance to catch up with Sophie's ambush before she started talking.

"Please." Lando nodded. "You're not going to sneak out of the back door and disappear on me again, are you?"

"I'll come back, I promise." Aimee let out a quiet chuckle as she headed in the direction of the kitchen. "Sophie's right, we have a lot to talk about."