Night Owl Ch. 5

Saturday morning has dawned, and Mia and I are in the throes of preparation for today's auditions. Normally, these auditions occur once every two months, but a special request has necessitated an additional session today, ramping up our stress levels.

We're bustling around, organizing files, creating name tags, setting up cameras, adn making sure the audio equipment is ready. Ensuring there are enough snacks and meals to keep everyone fed throughout the day adds another layer to our exhaustive checklist.

By 10:00am, everything is in place, and we're set to handle the wave of 100 applicants. The day kicks off at the front door where each hopeful signs in and received their name tag. These aren't flimsy stickers but thick, sturdy pieces of paper with their names.

From there, they collect a packet containing their headshot and any additional photos they've brought along to impress us. Once their packets were in hand, they move to the waiting area—a large room reminiscent of an old school cafeteria, equipped with TV's broadcasting the live auditions. This set up allowed everyone to watch and wait, a nerve-wracking preview of what's to come.

Here, in this buzzing hub, applicants can grab a bit to eat or rest before facing their moment in the spotlight. When their name is called, they step into the audition room where Mia and I sit ready to judge them. The stakes are high; we are searching for a very specific talent, requiring each participant to present three prepared pieces for evaluation.

Today's auditions are a marathon, not a sprint, as each musician must navigate through three challenge pieces: a song they perform confidently, one that scares the to perform, and an original piece to showcase their creativity. The day stretched long and arduous, filled with a parade of talent that dazzles and makes our decisions increasingly difficult.

Despite the exhaustion, time is passing by quickly, the room filled with the echos of potential. Each artist brings their own flair, complicating our task of choosing just one.

"Hey ladies, how are things going?" Namjoon breezes into the room, his presence like a gust of wind.

"Great, actually, we only have one applicant left today," I respond, my voice steady despite the nerves fluttering inside.

"Do you mind if I sit in on this one?" He asks, his excitement palpable.

"Not at all," I reply with a welcoming smile, hiding my sudden anxiety. The last applicant is none other than JK. My heart skips as he enters the room. His apparent is effortlessly cool: black skinny jeans paired with a white tank under a tucked-in black chambray shirt, secured with a sleek belt. He's so striking it send a nervous twitch to my oasis.

Mia notices my discomfort and lets out a soft snicker.

"What's so funny?" Namjoon inquires, glancing between us.

"Oh, nothing boss, nothing at all," Mia replies, her smile wide but secretive.

"Okay, final contestant, what is your name?" Mia turns to Jak with a professional air.

"Oh, it's Jungkook," he answers, a hint of shyness in his voice.

"Great, and can you please tell us the works you'll be performing today?" she continues, her tone encouraging.

"Yes, I'll be singing 'No or Yes' and 'Alive Please Stay'," he starts.

"Awesome, and or your original work?"she probes, ready to jot down his response.

He locks eyes with me, and for a moment, it feels like a silent conversation passes between us. "Oh, ah, it's called 'With You Still,'" he says with a smile that seems meant only for me.