Night Owl Ch. 10

His question hung in the air, thick and undeniable, as I remained motionless on his lap, his eyes searching mine for a sign.

"Wh-what did you say?" I managed, my voice barely above a whisper, my heart racing with a mix of confusion and sudden awareness.

"Exactly what you heard. Will you be my girlfriend?" His tone was earnest, filled with an intensity that seemed to echo around us.

Why was he asking this now? His caring for me was evident, yes, but to this extent? To want something so serious, so official—it overwhelmed me.

"Why though?" I asked, my voice laced with disbelief.

"Do you really need to ask that, Rae?" He sounded slightly amused but also perplexed by my astonishment. "I want to be with you. That's why."

"No, I mean—I know you care for me, JK, but you really want to be with me? Like, officially?" The words tumbled out, each one steeped in incredulity, my mind struggling to bridge the gap between what I felt and what he was offering.

"What do I have to do to prove it to you?" he asked gently, his hands soothingly rubbing my back and thighs, trying to calm the storm of emotions visible in my expression.

"Nothing, I... I honestly don't know what to say. I guess I'm just in shock. I haven't been asked out in a really long time," I confessed, my gaze dropping to his hand resting on my thigh, the warmth of his touch grounding yet dizzying.

He pulled me closer, his breath warm against the curve of my neck, his words a soft, pleading whisper just below my ear. "Lily, say you'll be mine. That you'll belong to only me. Say that I can take you as I please, and love you as deeply as I want."

The intimacy of his plea, the sincerity in his voice, it all made my heart swell and ache in equal measure. Here he was, offering not just a part of himself but seeking all of me.

Could I dive into this, into us, with the shadows of his other life still lingering in the background? Could I trust this moment of pure vulnerability to be the foundation for something lasting? His question, simple yet profound, waited patiently for an answer, wrapped in the quiet support of his embrace.

His words sent a shiver through my body, the kind that made every sense heighten in anticipation. His hand moved with a slow deliberation up my thigh, pausing just as his thumb began a tantalizing circle around my clit.

The gentle pressure was enough to make me shift, an involuntary reaction as I felt him beneath me. Why was I resisting this? I knew what I wanted. I had known for a long time that I wanted him to be mine. Any fears had dissipated that night we were together, dissolved into the warmth between us. So why the hesitation? Why couldn't I just say yes?

"Lily, I want to prove it to you. Please, tell me what to do. I need you to know how serious I am. I want you to be mine," he murmured, his voice a raspy whisper against my neck, sending another wave of shivers down my spine.

I reached up, cupping the side of his face to draw his eyes to mine. There was a softness there, a question waiting to be answered. With a smile that I hoped conveyed my decision, I found the words he needed to hear. "Make love to me, JK."

His response was immediate and filled with relief; his arms wrapped securely around my waist, lifting me effortlessly so that my legs wrapped around him.

"You're making this too easy for me, Lily," he teased, a satisfied grin lighting up his features as he carried me toward the bedroom.

His stride was confident but as soon as we crossed into the sanctuary of my room, his demeanor changed. There was a tenderness in his actions now, a stark contrast to any of our previous encounters.