you're not into the football players?

November 5th, 2022

Paige's POV:

"Paige, get up" Aubrey says, shaking me awake. 

"No" I respond, too tired to open my eyes. 

"Dude, get up. We have to go to the football game" she says. 

"That's bullshit. I'm not going"

"You have to go" she says, hitting me with a pillow. "Plus, you know who cheers at the football games right?"

I sigh, throwing off my blanket, taking the pillow from her, and smacking her with it. 

"Knew that would get you up" she laughs. 

"Shut up" I say. "We have to go"

Aubrey leaves my room to allow me to start getting ready for the game. The basketball team was invited to the football game by the athletic director to wish us luck for our upcoming season. Normally this is one of my favorite traditions, but this time, I don't have an upcoming season. 

I threw on a pair of black cargo pants, a grey hoodie, and my white jersey on top of it. I left my hair down and applied some light makeup. 

Aubrey, Nika, Azzi and I start our walk over to the football stadium, meeting the rest of our teammates along the way. We walk past all of the tailgates outside the stadium and I feel slightly jealous that we can't be a part of them. As student athletes, we're not supposed to be seen out drinking on campus, especially wearing UConn basketball jerseys across our chests.  

We make our way to our seats that are close to the field, right next to the student section. I'm secretly hoping that the cheer team would be positioned in front of us, rather than the dance team. 

"Here comes your cheerleader" Azzi says, interrupting my thoughts. 

I watch as Alex runs out of the tunnel along with the rest of her team, the dance team, and the marching band. After playing the national anthem and the UConn fight song, the game begins. 

Azzi smacks my arm, signaling for me to look down onto the field. I look down to find Alex, smiling and waving at us. I wave back to her, given that she's too far away to talk to. 

I watch, mesmerized by the fact that she can do all kinds of flips and get thrown in the air. When it finally reaches half-time, the cheerleaders leave the field. I can't help but feel a pang in my chest knowing that I don't have her to watch anymore. 

"Hey" I hear from behind me. 

Turning around I see Alex and Naomi, smiling in their uniforms. 

"Hi guys!" Nika says. "I had no idea you guys were so good"

They just laugh as I move over and say "Here, sit" 

The two girls sit in between Nika and I and Naomi starts talking to Nika about the game.