i like girls

February 15, 2023

Paige's POV:

I watch as my teammates exit the locker room and make their way onto the court for today's game against Creighton. I linger behind, needing a few minutes to myself before joining them. 

The past few months have been more difficult than I could imagine. Not being able to play the sport that I love has taken a huge toll on my confidence and mental health. I know that I'll be able to play soon, but that day honestly can't come soon enough. 

I sigh, deciding it's time that I show my face out on the court. I open the locker room door, my eyes instantly connecting with the small, dirty blonde cheerleader passing by. 

"Hey," she says, stopping in front of me. "You okay?"

I find myself unsure of how to answer her. "Uh, yeah. I'm fine."

"Paige," she starts. "What's wrong?"

I signal for her to come into our locker room and take a seat on the couch. "Nothing, really," I say. 

"Do you wanna talk about it?" she asks, kindly. 

"Just frustrated, that's all," I respond. "I feel useless."

She sighs, an empathetic look on her face. "You're not useless, P."

"You don't get it," I say, putting my head in my hands. 

"You're right," she starts. "I don't get it. But I do know that you're the most amazing player this school has ever seen. And everyone else knows that too. Injured or not, nobody's forgotten that."

She takes her hand and pushes a piece of hair that's fallen in front of my face behind my ear. 

"Cmon," she says, grabbing my hand. 

I stand up, letting her lead me through the tunnel and onto the court. I can't help but feel extremely aware that we've entered the arena and her hand is still held onto mine. 

"Thank you," I say, looking down at her. 

"You don't have to thank me," she says, smiling. 

She lets go of my hand and I watch as she makes her way over to her teammates. 

I spent the game cheering on my teammates, stealing glances at Alex every chance I could get. Every time my eyes met hers, she was looking back at me, smiling. 

** * ** 

March 4th, 2023

"Okay, does everyone have everything?" Azzi questions. 

"Yes ma'am," Nika confirms. 

"Pack any sexy underwear?" Aubrey asks, nudging my arm. 

"Why would I need sexy underwear?" I laugh back. 

"Because your pretty cheerleader will be there," she says. 

"You are seriously so annoying," I respond, smacking her arm.