The pool isn't funny anymore

Amelia 14 yo

The summer sun hung lazily in the sky, casting a golden glow over the campsite nestled deep in the woods. The air was thick with the scent of pine and the distant sound of a babbling creek, accompanied by the occasional chirp of crickets. The campsite, an oasis of normalcy far from the glaring lights of fame, had become a cherished tradition for the O'Connell family. Here, amidst the towering trees and under the star-speckled sky, they could simply be themselves.

Billie Eilish, her brother Finneas and his girlfriend Claudia had come to this secluded spot for as long as Amelia could remember. It was their escape from the world, a place where Billie could be not a global pop sensation, but simply a mother. Amelia, Billie's fourteen-year-old daughter, had grown to love these trips. It was one of the few places where she felt she could truly be herself, without the constant pressure of being Billie Eilish's daughter.

Amelia was a secret Billie had guarded fiercely from the public eye. She had never posted a single picture of her on social media, and the world had only the vaguest idea of her existence. It was a choice Billie had made early on— to give Amelia as normal a life as possible, away from the prying eyes of fans and paparazzi. And Amelia appreciated that. She didn't crave the spotlight, but the freedom to explore her own identity in peace.

This summer, Amelia had invited her girlfriend Olivia to join them on their camping trip. Olivia was kind and thoughtful, with a warm smile that made Amelia's heart flutter. They had been inseparable since meeting at a mutual friend's birthday party a year ago, and over time, their bond had deepened into something more. Olivia was the first person outside of her family that Amelia had felt truly understood by. She felt safe with her, in a way that made all the uncertainty of teenage life a little less daunting.

"Do you think anyone's going to recognize us?" Olivia asked, her voice a soft murmur as they walked towards the campsite's pool, the sound of their footsteps muffled by the carpet of pine needles underfoot.

Amelia shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips. "Not a chance. I'm just a regular girl here, remember? Plus, I don't look anything like my mom." 

Olivia grinned, nudging Amelia playfully with her shoulder. "That's true. But you've got her eyes, you know. That same spark."

Amelia felt her cheeks warm at the compliment. She always got a little shy when Olivia said things like that, but she loved it all the same. The two of them had spent the past few days exploring the woods, stargazing, and making s'mores by the campfire. It was the perfect escape, just the two of them wrapped in the serenity of nature.

When they arrived at the pool, the sun was just beginning to dip towards the horizon, casting long shadows across the water. The pool was tucked away in a clearing, surrounded by tall trees that provided a welcome sense of privacy.
There were a few other campers lounging by the water, but it wasn't crowded.

The girls quickly found a spot on the grass, spreading out their towels. Amelia pulled off her oversized t-shirt, revealing a simple black swimsuit underneath. Olivia, in a bright blue bikini that contrasted beautifully with her tan skin, followed suit. Amelia admired how effortlessly confident Olivia seemed, how she moved through the world with a grace that Amelia envied.

As they slipped into the cool water, the day's heat instantly melted away. They swam to the deep end, where they could float in peaceful isolation, away from the splashes and laughter of the other swimmers. Olivia held onto Amelia's hands as they drifted, their fingers intertwined.

"This is nice," Amelia sighed, her voice barely above a whisper. "Just us, no worries."

Olivia nodded, her gaze softening as she looked at Amelia. "Yeah, it's perfect."