Chapter 10

Tuesday morning crept in with a thick, overcast sky, casting a dull light over Westbridge. The clouds hung low, heavy with the threat of rain, and the chill in the air hinted at the impending winter. Grace felt the weight of the day pressing down on her shoulders as she pulled into the school parking lot, her mind still tangled with thoughts of Elliot. The encounter at the football game kept replaying in her mind—the way he'd seemed so angry and lost, the bruises on his knuckles, the raw emotion in his eyes. She couldn't ignore it any longer. Something had to be done.

The school loomed before her, an imposing structure of brick and glass, filled with the usual morning chaos. As she got out of her car, the sound of slamming lockers and laughter reached her ears, a stark contrast to the turmoil swirling inside her. Grace took a deep breath, steeling herself for the day ahead. She couldn't shake the feeling that today was important, that it would be a turning point, not just for her but for Elliot too.

Inside the school, the hallways were already crowded with students. Some lingered by their lockers, chatting in clusters, while others hurried to class, heads down, focused on their phones or books. Grace navigated the familiar maze of faces, her mind still focused on Elliot. She knew she had to find a way to reach him, but how? He was so guarded, so closed off. It was like trying to break through a fortress with nothing but words.

She reached her locker and opened it, the metal creaking as it swung outward. Her hands moved mechanically, swapping out books and organizing her materials, but her thoughts were miles away. Just then, Clara and Emma appeared, their usual morning energy palpable. Clara, with her blonde hair tied up in a messy bun, had a bright, inquisitive look in her eyes, while Emma, more subdued with her dark curls framing her face, gave Grace a knowing smile.

"Grace, you've been awfully quiet this morning," Clara noted, leaning against the lockers with a raised eyebrow. "What's going on?"

Grace managed a small smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Just thinking, that's all."

Emma exchanged a glance with Clara before turning back to Grace, her voice gentle. "Is it about Elliot?"

Grace sighed, feeling the weight of her concern pressing down even harder. "Yeah. I just... I can't stop thinking about him. About how angry and alone he seems. I don't know how to help him, but I feel like I have to try."

Clara folded her arms, her expression thoughtful. "You don't need to have all the answers, Grace. Just letting him know you care might be enough to start."

Grace shook her head, frustration creeping into her voice. "But what if he doesn't want my help? What if I'm just making things worse?"

Emma placed a reassuring hand on Grace's arm. "You won't know unless you try. And who knows? Maybe just knowing someone cares will make a difference."

Grace considered this, her mind spinning with possibilities. It was true—Elliot had always seemed so isolated, as if he'd built walls so high that no one could climb over them. Maybe what he needed was someone to start chipping away at those walls, bit by bit.

The first bell rang, cutting through their conversation and signaling the start of the school day. With a shared look of encouragement from her friends, Grace headed off to her first class, her resolve solidifying with every step. Today, she would try to reach Elliot, even if she didn't know exactly how.

------------

Elliot slammed his locker shut, the clang of metal echoing down the hallway. He was already in a foul mood, his nerves frayed from a sleepless night. The dark circles under his eyes were proof of the restless hours he'd spent tossing and turning, replaying the fight and the words of the principal over and over in his mind. The physical aches from the fight were manageable—the dull throb in his knuckles and the stiffness in his shoulders—but it was the mental exhaustion that weighed him down.