Chapter 34

The world felt muted as Grace walked home the following morning. She hadn't slept; instead, she spent hours sitting on the park bench after Madison left, staring out into the darkness, waiting for something to make sense. But nothing had. The weight of what Elliot had confessed hung heavy on her heart, suffocating, impossible to escape.

As she neared her house, her phone buzzed in her pocket, startling her. She didn't need to check the screen to know who it was—it had to be Elliot. He had sent her texts throughout the night, desperate messages, asking where she was, if she was okay. She had ignored them all, not because she wanted to hurt him, but because she didn't know what to say.

What could she possibly say?

Grace reached her front door and paused, the key held loosely in her hand. Inside, her parents would be starting their day—her mom probably getting ready for work, her dad checking the news with his coffee. They'd ask questions she wasn't ready to answer. She wasn't sure she'd ever be ready to answer them.

Slipping inside quietly, she made her way up the stairs, careful not to make a sound. Her bedroom door closed with a soft click, and Grace finally allowed herself to exhale. But the relief was fleeting. The moment she sat on her bed, her phone buzzed again, louder this time, more insistent.

With a sigh, she pulled it from her pocket and glanced at the screen.

Elliot: I need to see you. Please, Grace.

Her fingers hovered over the keyboard, her mind spinning. She had no idea how to respond, no idea if she wanted to respond. Last night had shattered the illusion she'd been living in—the idea that Elliot was just a troubled boy trying to escape his past. He was more than that. He was dangerous, and his past wasn't just a shadow trailing behind him—it was still alive, still capable of reaching out and destroying everything in its path.

And yet, despite everything, there was a part of her that wanted to see him. To understand. To feel the connection they had shared before everything had come crashing down. But that part of her was buried under layers of fear, confusion, and a growing sense of betrayal.

She didn't reply to the text. Instead, she tossed the phone onto her bed and stood, walking to the window. The sky was a dull gray, the kind of overcast morning that made everything feel more oppressive. She pressed her forehead against the cool glass, closing her eyes, willing herself to think clearly.

But all she could see was Riley's face—a girl she had never met, whose life had been cut short because of a series of choices Elliot had made. Grace wondered what Riley had been like. She tried to picture her—her laugh, her smile, her dreams—but all she could see was the outline of a girl who had been collateral damage in a world Grace was only beginning to understand.

The door to her room creaked open, and Grace spun around, startled.

"Grace?" Her mom stood in the doorway, concern etched into every line of her face. "Are you okay?"

Grace forced a smile, though it felt brittle. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Her mom raised an eyebrow, clearly unconvinced. "You didn't come home last night. I was worried."

"I was out with a friend," Grace said quickly. "I'm sorry, I should have texted."

Her mom stepped into the room, crossing her arms. "Is everything alright? You look... exhausted."

Grace turned back toward the window, her chest tightening. "I didn't sleep much."

There was a long pause before her mom spoke again, her voice softer this time. "You know you can talk to me, right? If something's wrong."