Chapter 21

The sun rose reluctantly on Thursday morning, casting a cold, pale light over the town. The streets were quiet, save for the rustle of leaves skittering across the pavement, pushed by a brisk autumn wind. Elliot pulled his jacket tighter around himself as he walked to school, his mind heavy with the events of the night before. His father's rage still echoed in his thoughts, the threat of violence ever-present, like a dark cloud hovering just above.

But amidst the fear and anger, there was something else—a determination that had taken root, fed by Grace's unwavering support. He replayed their moments together, her kindness, her understanding. She had become a lifeline, something solid and real that he could cling to in the storm of his life.

When Elliot arrived at school, he made his way to the back entrance, as usual, hoping to avoid the morning rush of students. But as he turned the corner, he was surprised to see Adam already there, leaning against the wall with his hands shoved deep into his pockets.

"Morning," Adam said, his tone casual, but his eyes sharp, studying Elliot's every move.

"Morning," Elliot replied, trying to mask his fatigue with a half-hearted smile. He didn't feel like talking about what had happened last night, but he knew Adam would notice something was off.

"You look like you didn't sleep," Adam remarked, his voice laced with concern. "Everything okay?"

Elliot shrugged, his gaze fixed on the ground. "You know how it is. Just... the usual."

Adam nodded slowly, understanding the unspoken words. "Your old man?"

"Yeah," Elliot said, his voice tight. "But it's whatever. I'll survive."

Adam exhaled, the breath visible in the crisp morning air. "You don't have to do it alone, man. You've got people who care. You know that, right?"

Elliot looked up at Adam, a faint smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Yeah, I know. Thanks."

Adam gave him a reassuring nod, then pushed off the wall. "Come on, let's get inside before we freeze our asses off out here."

They walked into the school together, the warmth of the building a stark contrast to the cold outside. As they moved through the halls, Elliot noticed the stares. Whispers followed them, a low hum of gossip that clung to the air like smoke. It was nothing new—he was used to being the subject of speculation. But today, the intensity was different. It wasn't just curiosity; it was judgment, a quiet disapproval that made his skin crawl.

Elliot's shoulders tensed as he walked through the crowded hallway, his eyes darting to the faces that turned towards him, then quickly away. He knew what they were thinking, what they were saying behind his back. It was the same old story—Elliot, the troublemaker, the guy with a bad reputation. And now, Grace was getting pulled into it.

As he approached his locker, he spotted Grace down the hall, standing with her friends. Her laughter was a soft melody that cut through the noise, bringing a brief moment of peace to Elliot's mind. But as he watched, he noticed something else—her friends were glancing around nervously, their expressions tight. They were trying to act normal, but it was clear that something was bothering them.

Grace caught sight of Elliot and smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. She excused herself from her friends and walked over to him, her brow furrowed with concern.

"Hey," she said softly, her voice barely audible above the din of the hallway.

"Hey," Elliot replied, his own worry mirrored in her gaze. "Everything okay?"

Grace hesitated, glancing over her shoulder at her friends before meeting his eyes again. "Not really. There's been... talk. About us."

Elliot's jaw tightened, the words he'd been hearing all morning crystallizing into something real. "What kind of talk?"