Chapter 24

The ambulance's flashing lights painted the courtyard in harsh, staccato bursts of red and blue, their glare reflecting off the rain-soaked ground. Each pulse of light seemed to slice through the heavy darkness that clung to the evening, rendering the scene before Elliot and Grace even more surreal. The rain fell in a relentless, cold deluge, each drop stinging as it made contact with their skin and clothes, but neither of them noticed. Their attention was wholly fixed on Adam's limp body, which was being lifted onto a stretcher under the harsh, unforgiving fluorescent lights. Blood mingled with the rainwater, swirling into dark rivulets that traced the contours of the cracked pavement before vanishing into the storm drains.

Elliot's heart hammered in his chest, each beat pounding in his ears like a war drum, echoing the growing dread that was rapidly consuming him. He felt as if he were disconnected from his own body, as though watching everything unfold from a distance. The sight of his friend—beaten, broken, and bleeding—played over and over in his mind, a horrific loop from which he could not escape. His breaths came in short, sharp gasps, the icy night air burning his lungs with each inhale. He felt Grace's hand in his, a distant sensation, her warmth unable to penetrate the deep, cold fear that had settled in his chest.

The rain lashed down around them as if the heavens themselves were mourning the violence that had transpired. Elliot's clothes clung to him, drenched and heavy, but he couldn't summon the energy to care. He was paralyzed, frozen in place by the weight of his guilt. This was his fault—Adam was lying on that stretcher because of him, because of the choices he had made, and because of the life he had tried so desperately to leave behind.

Grace's voice cut through the fog of his thoughts, soft yet filled with a determination that seemed almost out of place in the midst of such bleakness. "We need to find out what happened," she said, her words a lifeline that Elliot clung to in his desperation. "We can't just stand here."

Elliot wanted to move, to do something—anything—to make things right, but his legs felt like they were made of lead. The world around him blurred, the flashing lights and the muted voices of the paramedics blending into a disorienting cacophony. He forced himself to nod, though it felt more like an automatic reaction than a conscious decision. Grace was right—they had to do something. But where could they even begin?

The paramedics worked with practiced efficiency, their movements quick and precise as they strapped Adam to the stretcher and prepared to load him into the ambulance. The door swung shut with a heavy clang, and the vehicle sped off into the night, its sirens wailing, leaving behind nothing but the fading echoes of chaos and the sickening reality of what had just occurred.

Grace tugged gently on his hand, pulling him from his daze. Her eyes, wide with worry, searched his face for any sign that he was still present with her, still capable of facing what lay ahead. "We should go to the hospital," she urged, her voice trembling despite her best efforts to stay calm. "We need to be there for Adam."

Elliot nodded again, more firmly this time, and allowed her to lead him away from the courtyard. The rain continued to pour down, turning the school grounds into a swampy mess, but neither of them cared. They moved in silence, their footsteps splashing through puddles, the world around them feeling eerily quiet now that the ambulance was gone.

The drive to the hospital was tense, the silence between them heavy and oppressive. Grace's hands gripped the steering wheel so tightly that her knuckles turned white, but her focus remained steadfast on the road ahead. The windshield wipers swished back and forth, struggling to keep up with the downpour, but it did little to clear the fog of fear that clouded their thoughts. The familiar streets they drove through looked different, more ominous, as if the storm had washed away the warmth and familiarity, leaving behind only shadows and uncertainty.