Chapter 29

The next few days passed in a strange mix of calm and tension for Grace and Elliot. Their conversation in the park had brought them closer, but it also opened up a world of uncertainties. Grace could see that Elliot was more at ease around her, but there was a new intensity in his demeanor, a quiet resolve that seemed to burn just beneath the surface. It was as if, by unburdening himself, Elliot had tapped into a part of himself that he had long kept hidden—a part that was now struggling to reconcile with his new life.

At school, whispers still followed them, but they were different now—more curious than malicious. Grace could feel the weight of those stares as she walked through the hallways, but she refused to let them get to her. She had made her choice, and she would stand by it, no matter what anyone else thought.

Elliot, on the other hand, seemed to be struggling more with the attention. Grace noticed the way his jaw clenched when they walked past a group of students whispering behind their hands, the way his eyes darkened when someone mentioned his name in passing. He was trying to keep it together, but Grace could sense the frustration simmering beneath the surface.

It all came to a head one afternoon, a week after their talk in the park. Grace and Elliot were sitting together in the cafeteria, sharing a quiet lunch. The noise of the crowded room buzzed around them, but they were lost in their own world, talking about their plans for the weekend. Grace had just suggested going to a new art exhibit downtown when a group of boys from the football team walked by their table.

One of them, a tall, broad-shouldered guy named Jake, who had a reputation for being a bit of a bully, stopped right next to them. He gave Elliot a once-over before turning his attention to Grace, a cocky grin spreading across his face.

"Hey, Grace," Jake drawled, ignoring Elliot completely. "Why don't you ditch this loser and come hang out with some real men? We're having a party this weekend. You should come—could be fun."

Grace felt Elliot stiffen beside her, his hand tightening around his fork. She looked up at Jake, her expression one of disbelief. "Not interested, Jake," she said firmly, hoping to shut him down quickly.

But Jake wasn't easily deterred. He leaned in closer, his voice lowering to a suggestive tone. "Come on, Grace. You know you're too good for a guy like him. What's he got that I don't?"

Before Grace could respond, Elliot shot to his feet, the chair scraping loudly against the floor. His eyes were blazing with anger, and his whole body was tense, like a coiled spring ready to snap.

"Back off, Jake," Elliot growled, his voice low and dangerous. "You don't talk to her like that."

Jake raised his hands in mock surrender, a smirk still playing on his lips. "Easy there, tough guy. Just having a bit of fun. No need to get all worked up."

But Elliot wasn't backing down. "I said back off," he repeated, stepping closer to Jake, who, despite his size, looked momentarily taken aback by the intensity in Elliot's eyes.

Grace quickly got to her feet, placing a hand on Elliot's arm in an attempt to calm him down. "Elliot, it's not worth it," she said softly, trying to diffuse the situation before it escalated.

But Elliot's anger was already bubbling over. "He doesn't get to talk to you like that," he muttered, his eyes still locked on Jake, who was starting to look a little less sure of himself.

Sensing that things were about to spiral out of control, Grace tugged on Elliot's arm, trying to pull him back. "Let's just go," she urged, her voice laced with concern.

For a moment, it seemed like Elliot was going to ignore her, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides. But then, with a visible effort, he took a deep breath and stepped back, his gaze never leaving Jake.