Chapter 9

Monday morning arrived with the usual chaos that filled the halls of Westbridge High. The weekend's excitement still lingered in the air, carried by the buzzing chatter of students who couldn't stop talking about the football game. Lockers clanged open and shut, and clusters of friends huddled together, their voices rising and falling in animated conversations. The energy was almost electric, but beneath it all, there was an undercurrent of something darker—a tension that simmered just below the surface.

Grace stood by her locker, carefully organizing her books for the day. The weekend had given her a much-needed break, but now, back in the familiar surroundings of school, the realities of the past few days began to creep back into her thoughts. She could hear fragments of conversation around her, snippets of gossip about Elliot's latest fight and the fallout from it. His name seemed to be on everyone's lips, spoken in hushed tones as if it were something dangerous to handle.

Closing her locker, Grace turned to find Clara and Emma approaching, their faces flushed with excitement.

"Did you hear about what happened after the game?" Clara asked, her voice low but charged with energy.

Grace looked up, sensing the importance of what Clara was about to say. "No, what happened?"

"Elliot got into another fight," Emma said, her eyes wide with a mix of shock and concern. "It was in the parking lot, right after we left. Some guy from the other team said something, and Elliot just... lost it."

Grace's heart sank. She had hoped that after their brief encounter last week, things might be different—that maybe Elliot would start to pull himself out of the cycle he seemed trapped in. But it was clear that wasn't the case. The news of his fight stirred a complicated mix of emotions in her: worry, frustration, and a deep, gnawing concern that she couldn't quite shake.

"Why does he keep doing this?" Grace murmured, more to herself than to her friends.

Clara leaned against the locker beside Grace's, her expression sympathetic. "I don't know. Maybe he's got too much bottled up, and that's his way of dealing with it. It's sad, really. He's got so much potential, but he just keeps... blowing it."

"Or maybe he needs someone to talk to," Emma added softly. "Someone who can help him work through whatever it is he's dealing with."

Grace nodded, her mind already swirling with thoughts of Elliot. She knew there was more to him than the tough, rebellious exterior he showed the world, but she wasn't sure how to reach that part of him—or if he even wanted her to try. Still, the idea of talking to him, of finding a way to help, lingered in her mind like a faint but persistent whisper.

The bell rang, jolting Grace from her thoughts. With a quick exchange of goodbyes, the girls headed off to their classes, but Grace couldn't shake the feeling that something important was just out of reach, something she was meant to do but didn't yet know how to begin.

------------

Across the school, Elliot trudged into the building, the weight of the weekend pressing down on him like a heavy, wet blanket. His knuckles were still sore and bruised from the fight, a physical reminder of the anger that had consumed him. The fight itself was a blur in his memory—just a flash of red, a rush of adrenaline, and then the sickening thud of fists meeting flesh. But the aftermath was clear enough: he was suspended from the game, sidelined and reprimanded yet again.

Adam, Elliot's closest friend, walked beside him as they navigated the crowded hallways. Adam was the kind of guy who could get along with anyone, his easygoing nature making him a favorite among their peers. But today, even Adam's usual cheerfulness was tinged with worry as he glanced at Elliot's bruised hand.