Chapter 15

The sun was sinking low in the sky, casting the world in a deep orange glow as Elliot and Adam worked in the dim light of the garage. The air was thick with the familiar scent of motor oil, rubber, and gasoline, and the only sounds were the occasional clink of tools and the low hum of Elliot's thoughts. They had spent the last hour fine-tuning Elliot's bike, a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750, its once-rusted frame now gleaming with the results of his labor. The bike was more than just a machine to Elliot; it was a symbol of his determination, a testament to the fact that he could create something worthwhile despite the chaos that surrounded him.

Adam handed Elliot a wrench, his expression thoughtful as he watched his friend. "Chain's looking a little loose. Might want to tighten it before you hit the road."

Elliot nodded, crouching down beside the bike. The methodical task of tightening the chain usually helped clear his mind, but tonight, his thoughts were stubbornly fixed on Grace. He couldn't stop thinking about the way her eyes had softened when she looked at him earlier that day, the way she made him feel like he was worth something, like there was more to him than just the anger and the rough edges.

Adam leaned against the workbench, his gaze fixed on Elliot as he worked. He could tell something was different about his friend tonight. Elliot was quieter, more introspective, and Adam had a pretty good idea why. "You've been acting different lately," Adam finally said, his tone casual but probing. "What's going on with you?"

Elliot didn't look up from the bike, his hands steady as he tightened the bolts. "Just thinking," he muttered, not offering much more.

"Thinking about what? Or should I say who?"

Elliot's hands stilled for a fraction of a second before he resumed his work. "Maybe," he said, his voice noncommittal.

Adam smirked, nudging him with his elbow. "Come on, man. It's pretty obvious. You've been into Grace for a while now. What's stopping you from making a move?"

"It's not that simple," Elliot replied, setting the wrench aside and wiping his hands on a rag. "She's... different."

"Different how?" Adam's curiosity was piqued now.

"She's good, Adam. Really good. She's got this way about her... like she sees the world through these rose-colored glasses, but in a way that's real, not naive. She makes me want to be better, but at the same time, I don't want to drag her into my mess."

Adam's expression softened as he listened. He'd known Elliot for years, had seen the walls he'd built around himself to keep people out. This was the first time Elliot had ever spoken about someone like this, and it was clear that Grace had gotten under his skin in a way no one else had. "You're not gonna screw it up," Adam said, his voice firm. "You're not your old man, Elliot. You're a good guy, even if you don't always see it. And if Grace sees something in you, then maybe you should give yourself some credit."

Elliot swallowed hard, the words striking a chord deep inside him. He wanted to believe that he could be different, that he could be the kind of person Grace deserved. But the shadows of his past, the anger that simmered just beneath the surface, made it hard to see himself as anything other than a ticking time bomb.

"Yeah," Elliot muttered, though he couldn't quite bring himself to believe it. "Maybe."

Adam saw the doubt in his friend's eyes, but he didn't push further. Instead, he nodded toward the bike. "Looks like you're good to go. Just keep an eye on that chain."

Elliot gave a small nod, grateful for the distraction. "Thanks, man."

They finished cleaning up the garage in silence, the unspoken weight of their conversation hanging in the air. Elliot grabbed his helmet and slung it over his shoulder, his mind already shifting to the ride home. The bike roared to life as he kicked the engine, the vibrations reverberating through his body, momentarily drowning out the chaos in his head. Riding was his escape, a way to outrun the thoughts that plagued him. But tonight, even the open road couldn't keep his mind off Grace.