CHAPTER 10: MARYSA

Three years had passed since the death of Grace and Joanna. I could have never imagined meeting and loving a new person in my life, but I felt lonely. I missed someone to talk to, cook dinner with, go on dates and adventures, complaining about my day, but mostly, I missed the smell of the person you're in love with. That scent that is so familiar and exhilarating, that feels like home; when you hug that person and bury your face in their neck, you never want to let go. Ever again.

I tried some dating apps and even went on a few dates. The rules of the apps state that the first date is always a hologram of yourself and the other person - for safety reasons. With some of the women, I even went to real second or third dates, but none of them matched my chemistry.

As I had my lunch break on a random Tuesday, my phone went ringing. It was Rebecca.

"Hey, Becca."

"Hello Marc love, how are ya? Am I disturbing your lunch break?"

"No, it's fine, I'm almost done. What is going on?"

"Well, I saw my old high school friend Marysa for drinks last night. She is recently divorced."

"Aha."

"Well not that recently actually, maybe eight months ago."

"Aha." I knew where this is going.

"And I was telling her about my good friend Marc, who is such a catch and the nicest guy on earth."

"Okay."

"Aaaand I was wondering if you would be up for a date!" Her voice went from normal to squeaky on the last sentence.

"Becca, you know the last date you set me up with was a bit weird. She had a feet fetish. I'm not really into that."

"Yeah, she was weird... We are not friends anymore."

I heard James in the background through the phone, "She's hot, dude, go for it!"

"Hey, shut up, James, what the hell?! But yes, Marc, she is hot, I'm telling ya. So I'm just gonna text you her number and you decide if you wanna give her a call. Or a text. Whatever".

I appreciated that Becca wasn't too pushy. I was not always in the mood for meeting new people.

"Okay, fine. I'll think about it, you can give me her number."

"Yeeees, that's the spirit. Love ya, bye!"

I finished my lunch break and went back to the office. I was thinking about Grace a lot that afternoon. What would she think of me dating other people? I assume she would want me to be happy. But every time with somebody else felt like a betrayal to Grace. When I went home to an empty apartment, the wish of not being alone anymore was bigger than my betraying feelings. After dinner I was staring at this girl Marysa's number. Should I call or text her? Video call? Hell no. I decided to text.

Hey, Marysa, this is Marc. Rebecca gave me your number. I hope it's okay that I am reaching out.

I wasn't really sure what to say next, but I didn't want to make it too formal either.

Maybe we could meet up for coffee sometime? Or whatever it is you like drinking :)

I wanted to keep it casual—no pressure of a formal dinner or anything, just a laid-back meet-up. Surprisingly, her response came about 20 minutes later:

Oh, hello Marc. I didn't expect you to text so soon, but I'm glad that you did! :) Sure, we can meet for coffee. How does this Friday 4 PM sound to you? I know a nice coffee shop by the lake.