CHAPTER 13: MOKIKI

Fridays were my usual work-from-home days. Despite of it being quite relaxing to work on a Friday at the office, it was one day less of commuting. Not that taking the train was exhausting, but the extra time in the morning was nice. I could wake up a bit later than usual, pour myself some coffee while still in my boxers, and spend more time with Carl. Plus, tonight was my second date with Marysa, and honestly, I wouldn't have been able to focus on work anyway.

I was starting to feel a little restless, so much so that I bought a new shirt and pants during my lunch break. Grace was still on my mind every day, but I tried to not to let myself ruin a good thing because of my guilty conscience for dating another woman. As the evening approached, I shaved, took a shower and put on my new clothes. My hair was slicked back into a bun, the top button of my black shirt left open and I added a small dash of perfume. Perfect.

Marysa's place was pretty central, but I still decided to take a Youber to pick her up, just in case the restaurant was farther than I thought. I opted for an elegant car - something sleek, reminiscent of the old Bentley Continental GT. It was a perfect summer night, warm, with a sense of anticipation in the air.

As soon as the car pulled over, she stepped out of her building. I got out to open the door for her, and my breath caught for a second. She wore a beige jumpsuit with black high heels, topped with a black blazer. Her hair was in a messy bun, a few strands of hair falling loose around her face. Simple jewelry, dark red lipstick - she looked effortlessly elegant.

"Wow, look at us. Like a couple from a magazine. You look great, Marysa."

"Well, thanks! You don't look so bad yourself." She leaned in and gave me a slight kiss on the check, her lipstick leaving no trace.

"So, where are we headed tonight?"

"MOKIKI".

"Oh really? Is that the new place with the molecular kitchen?"

"Yes, the owner is a good friend of mine."

"Nice, I've never been there."

"Be prepared to have your mind blown."

Even though I would have preferred something more intimate or old-fashioned, I was curious to go to MOKIKI. It was the talk of the town ever since it opened. While molecular gastronomy wasn't exactly a new concept, MOKIKI had raised the bar with its highly advanced robotic chefs, and the owner was a renowned culinary mastermind.

As we arrived, I noticed a few paparazzi waiting at the entrance, poised to snap photos of any prominent guests. The interior was modern, featuring a blend of lush greenery, black and gray marble, and heavy furnishings. The overall ambiance was dark and sophisticated, creating an atmosphere that felt both inviting and exclusive. Marysa took my arm as we walked in, and I could sense her excitement.

Upon entering, the staff took our coats and led us to our table. We ordered drinks and meals and just as we settled in, the lights dimmed to complete darkness.

The first course was designed to be eaten without sight, forcing us to rely on our other senses. I hesitated for a moment, then took a spoonful of what I assumed was soup. I noticed a flavor of asparagus. As the second course arrived, the lights went back on, illuminating the table once again. Our VOXX screens displayed a vibrant image of the appetizer: asparagus essence with tiny wild garlic pasta. The presentation was artful - long green strands resembling worms swirled in the soup, with two fresh asparagus spears sticking out.

"Okay, interesting", I thought to myself, glancing over at Marysa, whose eyes sparkled with amusement.

"Well, that was something new." I said, still processing the experience.

"Yeah, right? Wait till you see the next two courses."

"So how do you know the owner?" I asked, curious about her connection.

"I took a cooking seminar once some time ago. Giovanni was the main chef leading the course. I studied business management, so I helped him with the opening of the restaurant."

"I see," I nodded, impressed.

"And how are things going over at Space Riders?" she asked.

"It's quite busy at the moment. We are about to release a new type of vehicle that is set to change the space transportation system," I explained, feeling a sense of pride.

"Wow, sounds exciting."

"Once it's ready, I can take you out for lunch to the Moon."

"Haha sure, by the time the vehicle is ready, it's going to be our 10th date," she teased, raising an eyebrow."

"I hope we won't need 10 dates for me to spend some alone time with you."

I looked deep into her eyes, down to her still red lips and a bit lower to her neckline. She seemed ready to respond when the waiter bot arrived with our first course: broiled mussels with chive foam. Okay. The second course followed, a set of transparent ravioli filled with vibrant vegetables. Okay, okay. As intriguing as the dishes were, they left me wanting more. Finally, the dessert came - carbonated Mojito spheres that burst with flavor in your mouth. It all looked very fascinating and something I have never seen or tried before. But I must admit, at the end of our dinner I was still hungry. I think I have some leftover lasagna at home.

"So, what did you think of your first molecular dinner?"

"It was really interesting, I like trying new things. But it's not something I would eat every weekend."

"Ha, yes same here," she smiled and looked down at her shoes.

"The wine was excellent though."

As we waited for the car, Marysa's question caught me off guard.

"Are you up for a nightcap at my apartment?" she asked, her voice carrying a hint of seduction. I wasn't expecting that at all. Forget the lasagna waiting at home.

"Ahm, yes, of course. I want to meet your cat!" I replied, trying to mask my surprise with a goofy smile.

When we arrived at her apartment, I was struck by the mix of styles. The space had a modern layout, but her choice of furniture and decorations leaned towards a more vintage, old-fashioned vibe. Daisy, her Maine Coon, was enormous - easily twice the size of my Carl. I couldn't help but imagine Carl bolting the moment he laid eyes on her.

"So, this is Daisy," Marysa said, petting her as she brushed up against her legs. "What do you think?"

"She's huge!" I chuckled. "Carl wouldn't know what to do with her."

Marysa smiled, put on some music and poured us both a glass of wine as we settled into her living room. The night felt like it was just beginning.

"I really like you, Marc. I haven't had such a good time with anyone else recently. I enjoy our conversations and you make me laugh. And to be honest, I haven't been with another man since my ex-husband... "

I didn't intend to sleep with Marysa so soon, but one thing led to another and I spent the night at her place. It felt amazing but also strange, because flashes of Grace kept creeping into my mind, and I was worried Marysa might notice the moments where I seemed distracted. Thankfully, she didn't say anything, and when morning came, I kissed her goodbye and made my way home. Rebecca is probably gonna call me really soon to learn all the juice. But, there was another interesting date coming up tonight.