CHAPTER 21: THE DECISION

The dream I had almost two years ago about the colors was still lingered in my mind, refusing to let go. It didn't feel like a typical dream; it felt as though I had truly been there, immersed in the colors and the vastness of space - the universe was where I belonged. My extreme sports and adrenaline rushes here on Earth weren't enough; I craved something beyond, something that transcended my earthly existence. Why did I ask in my dream about the edge of the universe?

Rationally speaking, in 2024, the observable universe was about 93 billion light-years. One light-year equals approximately 9.46 trillion kilometers. While we can see further than ever, it's still a mere fraction of the universe's true size. What lies beyond this observable distance? Is it even possible to travel faster than the speed of light? Many theories surrounding warp propulsion and wormhole were disproven by scientists, suggesting that such concepts are fundamentally impossible according to the theory of relativity.

Imagine this: light travels at roughly 300,000 kilometers per second, meaning we would only need about eight minutes to reach the Sun. How astonishing is that? Yet, even if such rapid travel becomes a reality one day, consider the fuel required for such an immense and prolonged journey. But then again, what about the power of Uransene?

I need to know what's out there, it can't be just nothing. The more we discover, the more we realize how little we truly understand. Scientists tell us there is no edge to the universe; it encompasses everything, everywhere, all at once. It isn't nothingness because nothing is still something. I understand this concept to some extent, but I feel an overwhelming urge to see it with my own eyes. There must be something; it has to exist. We are not alone - this universe is endless.

The colors from my dream told me that the edge was right in front of me, that I just needed to keep looking. But how and where? Am I taking this too literally? Do I dare to take the MSS and a batch of Uransene and embark on a journey no one ever tried before? Could I be the first person to travel to the edge of the observable universe and possibly even further? Would I come back from it alive?

What else is holding me back? Marysa is gone, mother too. I even bought a switch for Carl as well, ensuring he will be with me forever. James and Becca are the only people I truly care about, but they are about to be married soon and start their own family. They won't need me anymore. By I time return, if I even make it back, they may no longer be here anymore. And thanks to my switch, I have a thousand of lives ahead of me.

But what about the logistics of such a journey? I would need plenty of food rations, water and entertainment. Money is not an issued, I made a fortune since the production of Uransene and the sale of the MSS. David will likely let me borrow a vehicle and I could manage to gather everything else that I need. Of course, I will take Carl with me, though I'm uncertain how suitable a life in a space station will be for a cat. But on the other hand, he spends most of his time at the apartment, so maybe he'll adapt. I can only hope he'll keep me company and stave off the loneliness of such an isolated journey.

I won't tell anyone about my plans. Everyone would think I'm crazy and would try to talk me out of it. So, I'll keep this to myself until after the wedding of my two best friends, then leave the morning after. The only person I might confide in is Neo. He's always supported my ideas and has been a loyal, discreet friend. I know he'll help with the preparations.

With a few months left until the wedding, I feel this journey is my destiny—the reason I was born. It feels right, resonating in every fiber of my being. Everything that has happened in my life so far has led to this moment: my fascination with astronomy, my countless hours of study at university, my tireless work at Space Riders, and ultimately, the stroke of luck that gave me the switch, allowing me to defy the laws of physics. The colors will guide me through the universe and help me navigate any obstacles that may arise, that is something I know for sure.