CHAPTER 23: THE DEPARTURE

After the wedding, I went back to my apartment and managed to sleep for a few hours, but the excitement buzzed in my veins like an electric current. I had everything neatly prepared for my journey beforehand. Neo had been a tremendous help for me over the past few weeks, assisting me in gathering all the supplies I would need and going over the technical details of the mobile space station, the MSS.

I gave my resignation at Space Riders two weeks earlier. David was utterly surprised by this and even offered me a raise, since he thought that my leaving had something to do with the company. I explained to him that this was something I needed to pursue on my own - a journey of a lifetime. If he wanted to acknowledge my work over the years at Space Riders, he could give me a MSS vehicle instead of a paycheck. And so he did. I also managed to find a new tenant for my apartment, sparing me the hassle of dealing with furniture etcetera. I could leave without the weight of earthly possessions holding me back.

I had countless meals prepared, including enough cat food for Carl to last us a lifetime. Water and drinks were stashed away in every available compartment, and I had stocked up on hygiene products to keep us both comfortable during our time aboard. I also brought along an array of entertainment - movies, books, and games - anything to stave off the loneliness of deep space. Despite the initial plan of going alone, I decided to purchase a technical bot to accompany me. I knew the journey would be long and filled with uncertainty, and having someone, or something, by my side could make all the difference. After some research and recommendations from Neo, I found a bot that was both efficient and equipped with advanced navigation systems. I named him Herbert.

After a few hours of sleep I woke up to my alarm clock very excited and nervous. Nervous because I didn't know what lays ahead of me and what to expect, but very excited to the unknown journey, and also excited to see the colors again. I turned Herbert on. The bot just uttered a quick buzzing sound.

"Good morning, Mr. Davis."

"Hello Herbert. Are you ready for our journey?"

"Yes sir, everything is set I and am at your disposal at all times."

"Thank you. Off we go now."

I secured Carl in his carrier, turned off all lights in the apartment and locked the door with my VOXX lenses only by looking at the security system near the door. Since we didn't have physical keys for our homes, the new ownership of the apartment was already signed over to the new tenant. I hope he will be happy here, I left him a small note by the nightstand. We took an Youber and went to Space Riders. The MSS was in its designated parking cube, and all the systems were already running, everything looked good to go. We put our things in the wardrobe and I wanted to give Carl a few moments to settle in. He was a very curious and uncomplicated cat, I think he will adapt to his new home quickly. I didn't need to give Herbert a tour of the MSS because all of the necessary information were transferred to his memory file beforehand. He knew the vehicle and its features as good as me. David gave me the best and most comfortable model – we had three bedrooms, a living room, two bathrooms (not that Herbert is going to need one), a large kitchen with a storage room and also a game room. This MSS was designed for families. The office was part of the control room. So everybody had their own space, even Carl. We had space suits available at the station for emergencies and I also brought a back-up batch of Uransene with me. Herbert and I took a seat at the navigation panel and the roof of the parking cube opened. Holy crap, I am really doing this! No backing down now.

"Herbert, are we ready for takeoff?"

"Yes sir, all the engines are checked and running. The fuel is placed correctly into the power container. The pressure in the cabin is stabilized and the roof is open."

"Okay then. On my command. Three, two, one. Liftoff."

The MSS shook slightly as we ascended, the powerful engines roaring to life. I felt the force of the acceleration push me back into my seat, a physical reminder of the leap I was taking into the unknown. Full force towards the troposphere.

"Goodbye, MotherEarth...", I whispered to myself as I looked down at this beautiful planet.