CHAPTER 22: THE WEDDING

Even though Marysa and I weren't together anymore, we still collaborated on planning the wedding. James and Becca were counting on us, and we managed to get along decently, despite the circumstances. The day of the festivities arrived quickly, and it was a beautiful ceremony, followed by a relaxed cocktails afternoon by the beach. Later, we enjoyed a fine dinner and an afterparty filled with dancing into the late-night hours. As I took it all in, I found my thoughts drifting to Grace and our own wedding. We hadn't had such extravagant decorations, meals, or music; ours was a more intimate celebration with our closest friends and family. But that was precisely how we liked it. Never in a million years did I think that Grace would meet such a tragic fate. Yet, all the heartwarming memories we created until that dreadful night remain etched in my mind, forever cherished. Sometimes I worry that I live too much in the past. No matter how much time has passed, I still miss my family, and my soul aches all over again. If only I could see them just one more time.

The wedding night of James and Becca was slowly coming to end. The majority of the guests had already left, leaving only a handful still sipping on their martinis, cosmopolitans or mojitos. Soft jazz melodies floated through the air, mingling with the salty sea breeze that kissed our lips. The lights strung across the palm trees seemed to no longer spark with the same vibrancy as they had just a couple of hours earlier. The sea breeze felt salty on one's lips and the air smelled like a mixture of frangipani, hibiscus and love. The bride and groom were slow dancing on the half open patio of the venue, holding each other's hands and enjoying the last moments of the party. I was sitting at a table in the back, with a glass of whiskey in my hand, waiting for their dance to end so that I could say my goodbyes. As I glanced around, Marysa passed by, likely heading to the restroom, but then she paused at my table.

"We did a pretty good job today, am I right?" she asked.

"Yes, it was amazing, and everything went smoothly, thank God. And that's largely thanks to you. I hope James and Becca had all they ever wished for today."

"I think they look quite satisfied." She nodded in their direction, seeing how Beca put her head on James' shoulder, their eyes closed, while still dancing in tight embrace.

I smiled and took a sip of my whiskey. As I looked at Marysa, a thought flickered in my mind - should I share my plans for the morning? But I quickly decided against it; I could only imagine how she would react.

"I'm sorry things didn't work out for us, Marysa. You are a great person and I hope you will find someone that is worthy of your love."

"Wow... Thanks Marc, that is... nice of you to say." Her expression shifted slightly, an almost pitying glance in her eyes that I found hard to bear.

"I hope you will one day find what you're looking for," she added.

She left me still sitting with the drink in my hand. James and Becca had finished their dance, and I stood up and went over to them. I hugged them both together with my outstretched arms.

"You guys, congrats once again. I hope this was a day you will never forget."

"Awww, honey yes! It was everything and more! Thank you for all your help." Becca's eyes sparkled with genuine happiness.

"Yes, my brother, you really pulled out all the stops!" James said, offering me our usual handshake followed by a hearty hug.

"You're welcome. I, uh... I need to tell you guys something."

Their expressions shifted to curiosity, and I felt the weight of my words hang in the air, heavy with unspoken truths.

In my mind, I had rehearsed everything I wanted to say, so that they would understand why I was leaving the next morning into an unknown journey, possibly never to return. But as I stood there, I couldn't speak those words out loud. I didn't want to turn the end of such a beautiful day into something sad.

"I... I just love you guys!" We all laughed, a shared moment of affection that felt both bittersweet and beautiful. I hoped this would be how they remembered me—filled with love, laughter, and the light of their unforgettable day.