chapter sixteen - walnuts

The next day, Ben had a wide smile on his face, he couldn't get what happened yesterday out of his head.

He almost confessed to Ana, but held himself back.

Their moment in the library was perfect, but he was freaking out too much to go through it.

Classes had just ended for the day and now it was dismissal time, just hours before the tourney game.

Looking around, Ben was looking for the redhead, but she was no where in sight.

Suddenly, he was stopped by a heartbroken brunette, clutching her pink handbag.

Audrey had a pout on her face as she looked at Ben with slightly teary eyes.

"Ben, what just happened yesterday? You still love me, right?" Audrey said, pleading with her brown eyes. "Bennyboo?" She asked him, holding his hands.

Ben sighed, prying her hands away. "Look, Audrey, I'm sorry..." He started. "But you and I both knew we weren't working anymore."

Audrey's gaze hardened. "It's because of her isn't it?" She questioned.

Ben gulped, knowing who without her even mentioning it. "No, it's not-"

Audrey scoffed, crossing her arms. "Oh, don't lie to me, Ben! I see how you look at her, y'know?"

Ben sighed. "Audrey, I'm sorry, alright?"

Audrey shook her head in denial. "You can't possibly choose that villain kid over me, Ben! You just can't!"

Ben glared at her. "And why not?" He asked her, coldly. "How many times have I told you to give them a chance, Audrey!" He exclaimed.

Audrey glared at him back. "No! What do you think their parents teach them, Ben?"

"And that is why they're here! For them to live a normal life like us, they don't deserve to live in poverty, they deserve to enjoy life."

"But they're already following their parent's footsteps!"

Ben looked at her confused. "What are you talking about?"

Audrey rolled her eyes." Have you seen what Mal did to some of the girl's hair? She did it to Jane's hair too, Fairy Godmother's not happy about it. "

Ben shrugged. "What's the harm?"

"It's gateway magic!" She exclaimed like it was obvious. "Sure, it starts with the hair. Next thing you know It's the lips and the legs, and the clothes and then everybody looks good and then... where will I be?"

Ben scoffed. "You're being shallow, Audrey-"

Audrey ignored him, cutting him off. "I'll see you after the game. okay? We can talk about our relationship-"

"I ended things, remember?"

Audrey just blew a kiss and muttered a 'bye benny' quickly.

Ben sighed, closing his eyes in frustration.

He was about to close his locker, when Mal went in front of him.

"Hey, Bennyboo."

Ben smiled tightly, looked behind her, seeing the VKs except Ana. "Hey, guys."

He was about to ask where she was when Mal spoke up.

"I just made a batch of cookies...double chocolate chip, do you want one?" She asked, holding up a zip lock bag with two cookies in it.

Behind the group, Ben's eyes caught a certain red head, heading towards his direction.

Ben smiled apologetically at Mal. "Uh, sorry, but I got a big game, and I don't eat before a big game, but thank you so so much." He said quickly, wanting to go to Ana. "Next time, alright?"