→ I.I

ACT I

CHAPTER I

do not trust the odds

The soft orange, yellow and red hues shine over the fields filled with grain. The teff, rye and spelt plants are illuminated by the rising sun in the most northern section of district 9, the yellow section. The yellow of the rapeseed shines in the early morning sun, which explains the name the section has been given. The families in the section rise with the sun to go in the fields or the factory, to care and for the crops and process as they will have to give it all away to the capitol. Their lives work taken as if it grows just in a night's time.

The warm sun is almost making the people forget what day it is, yet the coldness can be felt in their souls and homes. The district is scarily populated, and even with the largeness of the district the chances for this day to be even darker are always looming.

So, like every family the Jardin's try their best to start their days as normal. Going to the rye field they are responsible for, last autumn's harvest still etched in their minds. The harshness of the peacekeepers still seeable near their home as the harvest failed. Small new rye starts to grow back as the family deals with scarcity of money. The tesserae of the two youngest children of Verrill and Penelope going up in hopes of keeping the family afloat. The community of the section unable to help them as it has been forbidden by the capitol.

As Aramis walks into his childhood home with his wife and toddler D'artagnan there is silence as his parents greet them with a small nod. A small smile and little hug reserved for their only grandchild who is unable to understand the silence and coldness in the house.

Aramis's siblings slowly make their way into the kitchen as well, his sisters helping each other with the finishing touches of their hair as their brother follows them silently lost in his mind. As the oldest brother, Aramis has always felt responsible for the lot of them, and knowing he can do nothing when something happens today hurts, yet he tries to smile comfortingly at the two youngest siblings.

The silence is only broken by the littlest Jardin, "auntie Thai," there is excitement as he does his grabby hands towards his favourite aunt. A large smile on his face, as he does not yet grasp what is going to happen or why his family is so silent and well dressed.

"Hello, my little musketeer," Thana greets him with a smile, taking him from her brother's arm as she smiles at him. "You didn't cause your parents to many problems this morning, right?"

The little boy enthusiastically shakes his head, playing with the sleeve of his aunt's dress.

"Took us a long time to get him into bath," Lilou muses with a smile, side hugging her husband. "But he is clean and properly dressed like all of us."