44. Tomorrow Promises

Even though the night had set in, the cottage was still aglow with happenings and surprise visits. Just before night set I had ran inside to start packing. There was a big leather hunting bag that my Pops had made special for my birthday. It had been left unused, as he kept on promising that we’d have a proper father-son hunt that summer. It was only really a coincidence that it was also perfect for an excursion to find a legendary sage deep in the forest. Guess that hunting trop was going to have to wait.

A while later when I had stuffed almost all my clothes, one of the iron skillets, boots, gloves, dagger, snacks, and everything for the trip came a knock to the door. Pulling the flap tight and knotting it securely, the sack was about as tall as I was and probably held more than it should have. The knock came rapped again.

“Coming!” I yelled tossing the package down the ladder and to the main room.

As my hand opened the door the possibility that this was my pops was suddenly very real. He shouldn’t have been back until tomorrow, him and his buddies having gone to the far side of the forest. Something about finding harder wood. But if he had left something and only remember half way then came back, then I was going to be caught dead with the hunting sack and I’d have to make something up to keep him away from the wizards.

My pale face was suddenly staring down the pretty purple apprentice that was with the wizards.

“Hello! Again!” I quickly added, my face smiling wide.

“Hi,” She gave a tired smile back as she pulled her hood down. “The raven, the old raven, just left for the others. But they sent me here ahead. Can I borrow your shed again?”

They had been here about two days ago and had all fit into the shed somehow. It was rare to get visitors here. Ma and pop never brought over people, said that the cottage was just were we slept. I agreed with them, but I had still brought over Satin and Chris over from time to time.

Leading her outside, she was probably going to make the shed big again. Not actually bigger, but big inside. It was apparently how they made the cave when we first met using those circle symbols things.

“You need anything?” I asked as I opened the door. She fell on the wood shavings immediately and curled up into a ball with her cloak. “Just call,” I whispered not sure if she heard me through her nap.

Cool stuff seemed to be happening around me all the time. Wizards, Hunters, Satin learning magic, Chris setting sail, even my father and mother get out of the house and places to be. But that was all going to change! Once morning came, we’d head off on an adventure of our own. I’d step out of the city, get to go places, see new sights! My mind was racing with possibilities as tidied up the cottage. Couldn’t just up and leave right? My folks would at least think I’d have left the place in good shape.

Night came quickly and the dark I sparked a candle to life. I was too excited to sleep. Instead, I went about dumping everything in my sack and putting it back without shoving anything. Then as I was bringing a blanket for the witch girl in the shed a soft light came down the path. It looked like a floating ball that buzzed in the air, pieces of it flying away then zooming back. As it came close I almost dropped the blanket, barely able to contain a scream my feet started running in the other direction. It was a swarm of fireflies so thick that they seemed to form a solid mass, their light not a gently sparkling orange but a constant white light that each eerily gave off.

A thin ghostly hand caught my shoulder, “AAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAHAAAAA!”

The hand turned me around and I was looking straight into the eyes of an old wizen man. “Be at peace boy or the hunters will surely find us!”

“Forgive us for the scare,” Came another voice behind him. It was the other witch that was with the wizard, her painted mask seemingly moving with the words.

“Where he?” The old man asked looking around, his eyes wild with anticipation. “We came as fast as we could.”

“S-Satin’s not back yet,” Came my stuttered as he still hadn’t let me go.

“I need to thank him for rescuing Namir. What a wonderful turn of events, my heart still soars!”

Namir then appeared, landing on the wizards grey hair and looking down on everyone, “You don’t need to do that. Has the apprentice come this way?”

“Present,” Someone said. The noise must have woken her up and still chained to the wizard, I gave her a wry smile which she copied in turn, grabbing my hand and pulling me free.

“I’ll put on a pot and we’ll have some tea before Satin comes back,” I suggested when another new voice came near.

“Cat! Cat! Cat!” Came Satin, squawking and flapping his wings frantically. Running up to him, he was about to crash into the ground when I jumped up to meet him with my blanket.

Swaddled in the cloth, his eyes were going to every as they formed a circle to look and see.

“My boy you’re still a raven?”

“He knows how to turn back,” Namir replied looking with a shifty eye. “But that paralysis problem we discussed is still a concern.”

“I thought he just liked the new look,” The purple witch interjected.

“Are we going to the Sage now?!” I asked excitedly, grinning like a mad man.

Satin caught his breath, “There’s no time! Namir, the cat’s on its way!”