Chapter 3

He looked around the quiet neighborhood. It was still in the evening. The sky was turning orange. He slowed his steps and at that time he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen. He pushed his jacket aside. He slipped his hand under his shirt and found blood on his skin. Minho stopped. "The wound from yesterday" he mouthed while pressing the wound. He winched. He kept walking and turned the corner, taking refuge behind a brick wall. Minho crouched down, trying to catch his breath.

     Right at that time, Dr. Do's men's shouts could be heard. He gasped and looked around, looking for an escape route. He went deeper into the alley and up on the walls. He ran up several roofs and peeked to see the men were near his location. He doubled over as the pain grew worse.

"I need to get out of here" he muttered. He stood to continue to run only to slip off the roof. Thankfully he fell onto a balcony of the building he was on. In front of him was a sliding door which he quickly pushed open and entered the building. Minho was panting as he leaned against the closed sliding door.

* * *

"Raon?"

       The younger woman in exercise attire turned around. She was standing on the wooden patio of the yard.

"Yes, mom?" she replied to the older woman who called her. "That's enough practice. Come inside and help me with dinner" Mrs Jung waved her hand at Raon. Raon nodded. She watched as her mother entered the house. Raon proceeded with her taekwondo practice session a little bit more before going inside. She walked past the office that was located across the living room. She saw a glimpse of her father sitting at the desk, immersed in his work. She heaved a sigh.

       Raon went into the kitchen to grab a drink to quench the thirst after hours of exercising.

"Dear, please pick up your things. You're making my kitchen a mess" Mrs Jung scolded her daughter as she was busy taking out ingredients from the refrigerator and putting them onto the kitchen island. Raon rolled her eyes and put down the glass. "Yes, Mom" she lazily picked up the science project off the kitchen counter.

"What is it this time?" Mrs Jung asked. "This week I'm going to teach about capillary action in plants" Raon replied as she fixed the cups of colorful liquid on the tray she held. Each other cup contained a stalk of flowers that already changed color according to the liquid it was put into.

"I know your students have lots of fun during your class, Ms Jung" Mrs Jung gave her daughter a small smile. Deep down she was proud of her daughter's enthusiasm in her teaching. Raon nodded "I hope so"

"I'll take a quick shower then I'll come to help you" "Alright"

"Mom" Raon whispered. She glanced in the office direction. "Is Dad okay?"

     Mrs Jung sighed. She shook her head a little. "You know how the business is"

"Is it really bad? Doesn't he have many friends to lend a hand?" "In times like this, no one wants to help. Not if helping your father will put their business in danger too" "Aish... that's sad"

"You know what I always tell you," Raon said. "I can take care of both of you even without Dad's business"

      Mrs. Jung sighed again. "Thank you, sweetie. You know your Dad won't give up on his business. You too should put yourself first. Don't give up on your dreams because of us old folks" She put her arms on Raon's shoulder. Raon nodded in reply.

* * *

       Minho took in the new surroundings. He landed in a bedroom. He touched his bleeding abdomen again. Luckily the blood did not seep out on his shirt yet. His eyes caught the sight of the bathroom and immediately went into it. He looked around and opened all the drawers and cabinets until he found a few small towels. He used it to press on the wound and wash it.