𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑇ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒

I was in the midst of brushing her teeth, staring at my tired reflection in the bathroom mirror. The night before had been...interesting, to say the least.

I was still amazed by how even in her weakened, ill state, Zoe had managed to get me into bed and hold me captive like some sort of human pretzel wrapper.

I chuckled softy to myself, swirling the toothpaste through my mouth as I continued to reflect on the previous night's shenanigans.

"Stubborn, clingy koala," I murmured to myself, my voice partly muffled by the brush in my mouth.

As I finished brushed my teeth and rinsed my mouth with water, I leaned against the countertop, staring at my image in the mirror. My hair was a wild mess, sticking up in all directions, thanks to Zoe's relentless grasping and burying her fingers in my hair while she slept.

"I look like a walking disaster," I thought, grimacing at my own disheveled appearance. I reached up and tried (unsuccessfully) to smooth down my hair, trying to make myself look somewhat presentable before stepping out of the bathroom.

I walked down the stairs, one hand running through my hair in a futile attempt to smooth it out. I was so focused on my wild hair that I didn't notice Zoe's mother waving me over until she spoke up.

"Good morning," she called out, her voice gentle. "Would you like some tea, Taylor?"

Startled, I looked up, suddenly noticing her standing in the kitchen. I felt a flush of embarrassment at my messy appearance and quickly tried to pat down my hair again.

"Good morning," I greeted, forcing a smile on my face. I walked over to the kitchen, still trying to fix my hair with one hand.

"I'd love some tea, thank you," I said, trying to sound as dignified as possible despite my appearance.

Zoe's mother watched me for a moment, taking note of my hair and the fact that I was clearly trying to pat it down. A small, knowing smile tugged at her lips, but she didn't comment on my wild looks.

"Come, sit down," she instructed, gesturing towards the kitchen table. "I'll fix you a cup."

I nodded, trying to appear unruffled, even as I felt a bit self-conscious. I made my way over to the table and took a seat. The kitchen was cozy and inviting, and despite my earlier embarrassment, I found myself relaxing a bit.

Zoe's mom moved about in the kitchen, preparing the tea. I sat there, trying to gather my thoughts in the morning quiet. Soon, a warm, comforting tea was placed in front of me, the steam wafting softly.

"Thank you," I said again, wrapping my hands around the cup.

"You're welcome," Zoe's mother said, her tone warm. She poured herself a cup of tea and sat down across from me. She studied me silently for a moment, her gaze a little too knowing for comfort. I took a sip of my tea.

It was a moment of silence as we both enjoyed our tea. I could feel Zoe's mother's gaze still on me.

"So, Taylor any requests for breakfast?"

I was slightly taken aback by her question, not expecting it at first. I set down my cup, clearing my throat.

"Uh, no, I'm good with anything, Whatever you're making is fine."

Zoe's mom smiled, hearing my response. "Well, I was planning to make our usual big, hearty English breakfast," she said, her voice nostalgic. "It's become sort of a tradition whenever Zoe comes back home."

"Actually, If it wouldn't be a bother, I was wondering if I could help you? I'd love to learn how to make some of Zoe's favorite foods."

"Oh honey, that would be lovely," she said, her tone warm. "I'd love some help. You don't mind getting your hands a little messy, do you?"