Chapter 5

"Maybe we should take a break before we try to get this one upstairs."

I sat in the back of the small moving truck, nearly empty after an hour of running back and forth from the curb to Red's apartment.

My apartment.

Meera stood in front of me, hands on her hips. "I don't need a break. Let's just get this over with."

"Come on, Meera, five minutes to catch my breath. Seriously, we've been non-stop since we pulled up."

"I'm cold and it's supposed to rain."

"It's February in Seattle. It's certainly not supposed to sun."

She turned facing the street, away from me, and leaned against the truck.

"What's up with you today, Meera? You've barely said a word all morning. If I had known skipping coffee on the way would have made you this cranky-"

"I'm not cranky."

"Seriously?" I hopped down out of the truck and set myself in front of Meera, looking her in the eye. "What's going on? Did you and David get in a fight or something?"

"Of course not. We're great." She let out a long sigh. "I'm just concerned. Are you sure you aren't jumping into things too fast?"

"'Things'? You mean moving? It was going to happen sooner, or not much later."

"It's not the move so much. I mean, I was a little sad you aren't staying with me longer, but I get it. This place was a steal and you had to jump on it. It's more this new job."

"I thought you were happy for me."

"It's not that I'm not happy, I'm just, like I said, concerned."

"Meera, you are the one who has been pushing me for ages to get a different job, or, what was it you said exactly? 'Get a grownup job'?"

Meera bristled. "I said I was sorry for that. You know I was upset about other stuff when I said it."

"I know you were, but you meant it. And you weren't wrong. But the least you can do is give me a little support when I finally heed your advice."

"This is not heeding my advice. Just because you left the rink doesn't make this the right move. Don't you think it is the slightest bit odd that this guy drops out of nowhere and offers you this perfect job, when you don't even..."

Meera stopped short, realizing she was already too late.

"I don't even what? Have any skills? That my only skills are selling concessions and sharpening skates?"

"You know I don't mean it like that. I know you're intelligent and talented in so many ways, but on paper..." She paused, searching desperately for the words. "Most jobs hire you after seeing a resume, conducting an interview. What makes this guy think you're qualified to do whatever it is you'll be doing? Did he even ask for a resume? Or a real interview?"

"You know what? You're right. Let's move the mattress now and get this over with."

"Kate–"

I shook my head, jumping back into the truck. "Really. I'd rather not talk about this right now."

Meera let out a sigh and started to say something, but her pocket began to chime. She dug her phone out, looked at it, and frowned.

"It's work, Kate. I have to take this."

I sat back down on the truck, hugging my knees, my head propped up on them.

"Right...right...no, I sent you that last night...no, of course. Let me get to a computer and I'll call you back."

Meera turned to me with an apologetic look on her face, not saying a word.

"We knew this might happen when you took the day off. Go ahead. Laptop's upstairs."

Meera ran up the front stoop leaving me staring at the futon mattress, wondering how much damage dragging it inside would do.

Maybe I could carry it on my back, like a turtle.

I laid back, staring at the ceiling of the truck, my legs dangling off the edge as I contemplated my options.

"What's the grand plan for getting this upstairs?"

I lifted my head at the sound of Eli's voice and smiled.

"What are you doing here?"

"You mentioned today was your moving day. I was in the area and thought I might lend a hand."

"Nice timing."

"Would have been more impressive if I showed up after you got this upstairs. All the glory without any of the sweat."

"I appreciate the gesture, but really, you don't have to move this thing."

"I don't see how you're going to manage it alone."

"Oh, it's not just me here. My roommate, my old roommate I should say, is helping."

Eli looked around. "And she is where?"

"Got a call from work. She's upstairs."

"Ah. No telling when she'll be back?" I shook my head. "Well, no sense in waiting for it to get wetter out here. Come on then."

Eli jumped in the truck, grabbed one end and waited for me to give a nod before heading down the ramp and off the truck.