Chapter 21

"So, he was up to something shady then?" I paused in the hallway, digging to the bottom of my bag for my key, pinning the phone between my ear and shoulder.

"No. I said there were suspicious deposits and withdrawals."

I loved Anton, but sometimes I thought talking to him should be considered a competitive sport.

"Riiight. Which would mean he was up to something."

"Normally."

"But something isn't normal."

"Yes. The records. They do not not make sense."

"How so?"

"They all originate on same day."

"So he made the deposits and withdrawls on the same day."

"No. Is not what I said. The dates are different. But the records did not come from those dates."

I took a moment as I unlocked the door to digest what Anton was saying.

"You're saying that the records are fake?"

"I do not know for sure."

"Did you find the source?"

I could hear Anton grumble. Puzzles he couldn't solve were rare. And upsetting.

"Not yet."

"That's so weird," I said, entering the apartment. "What would anyone have to gain by..."

"By? Kate?"

I stood in silence, staring at the disaster area that was the apartment. Couch cushions ripped, drawers dumped, tables overturned, and Red nowhere to be found. "Oh my..."

"What is wrong? What is happening?"

"Anton, someone trashed the apartment."

"What? I am coming over."

Before I could respond, Anton was already gone. I scanned the room. Among the mess, I noticed Red's laptop was missing. I hoped that meant she found a reason to leave the apartment with it, but the sick feeling in my stomach believed otherwise.

I rushed up the stairs to see what the damage was in my room. When I reached the top of the stairs, I was shocked to find it in relative order.

Nothing made sense. I jumped as my phone played Minuet in D and answered it.

"Hey, Eli."

"You okay? You don't sound good."

"I'm okay. But my apartment isn't."

"Red's friends throw a crazy midday party?" Eli laughed at his joke, but I stayed quiet. "Okay...what's wrong?"

"Red's gone. Someone was here, looking for something, maybe? I don't know. The place is a mess."

"Okay. Calm down. I'm on my way."

"I am calm and you don't have to..." 

Too late. The line was silent.