Chapter 27

"So," Anton tossed a fork on his empty plate, "what do you want?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I grabbed his plate and took it to his kitchen sink. "Oh, and I hope you saved room for dessert."

"That. That is what I mean. You bring me dinner and cake. You want something."

"I'm shocked, Anton. We're friends. Friends do nice things for each other."

"Yes. But you do not like to cook and bake."

I sat in the chair next to him and sighed. It was true. I had brought Anton dinner and dessert, not because I thought he wouldn't grant me any favor I asked, but to give me time to convince myself that I should tell him about what was going on.

"What is it, kotik?"

I smiled, as I always did when he called me that.

"Okay, so, here's the thing. There's been some weird stuff happening, and I don't know what to believe or–"

"That Eli, he is not who you thought?"

"Yeah, well, that's part of it. How did you know?"

"Tell me what you know."

"Uh, well, he's not here to recruit anyone for a job. Someone is paying him to get a hold of some software that – and this sounds crazy – can control people's minds. Crazier still, he thinks Meera is involved. He says there are documents that connect her to it."

Anton leaned back in his chair. "That is why he is interested in you."

I nodded and watched as Anton stroked the hint of a beard on his face.

"So, what I was hoping is that you could see if there is anything you can find out. Confirm his story about this software, find these documents that supposedly connect Meera to all of this, anything."

Anton got up from the table and walked to the living room, sat on his couch and grabbed his laptop from the coffee table.

"I guess I'll just follow you then," I mumbled. I made my way to the couch, stumbling over a long blue cable as I did and whacking my leg on the coffee table.

"Ugh. Seriously, for such a nerd, I can't understand how you function in your house without wi-fi."

"Is not secure."

"Don't you just put passwords and stuff on there?"

"Is not secure enough."

"So, what are you looking up?"

"I am not looking up anything. I am finding you a flight."

"What?"

He looked up over his laptop. "You need to go away."

I sat up and perched on the edge of the couch cushion. "I'm not going anywhere, Anton." 

"There is too much danger for you here. I will put you somewhere safe."

"Look, I appreciate the concern, Anton, but I'm not going anywhere. Meera could be in trouble. I need to stay here and help her. What is it with men thinking they have the monopoly on danger?"

Anton smirked. "Because we are good at it."

"Yeah, well, I'm good at looking out for my friend, so that's what I'm going to do." I stood up and grabbed my keys. "Whether or not you help."

I made my way to the door, slamming it behind me, and ran to the car. It was raining, real rain, not the usual mist we got here. I got in my car, wet and freezing, but my shaky hands had more to do with frustration than cold.

I turned the key in the ignition, feeling absolutely lost. As I smoothed my damp hair away from my face, there was a rap at my window, making me leap in my seat. I looked up, my hand ready on the gear shift, to see Anton standing there in the rain, his hair slowly laying flat against his head. I rolled down my window a crack.

"Call your Eli. We will all talk."