Chapter 17

"Ugh, I can't wait for this winter to be over with. David is parking the car. You know how he is about valets." Meera removed the batik scarf fashionably protecting her hair, while Eli pulled out her chair. "Good to see you again, Eli."

"Pleasure to see you as well."

"I love the outfit. New?" I asked, eyeing the deep red blouse she was wearing. Long and gauzy, cinched with a tiny bronze belt to match the hardware on her favorite boots.

"Not really. I cleaned one of the closets yesterday and found a couple of things I forgot about. You are welcome to borrow it anytime." Meera turned her gaze to Eli, giving him a wide smile. "Kate looks amazing in red."

I shrugged.

Maybe red was a good color for me, but I couldn't pull off outfits the way Meera did. Men fell all over themselves when she was around. Perfectly smooth skin, thick chestnut hair, almond-shaped eyes; she was exotic and elegant and everything I was not.

Eli nodded politely. "I'm sure she does."

"So," Meera continued, "I mentioned to Kate that David historically has ignored calls from headhunters. So, he thinks this dinner is just dinner with 'Kate and her new friend'. I figure the whole 'what do you do?' conversations will just happen organically and we can see how things go from there. No hard sell, got it?"

"Of course."

I watched the front door of the restaurant swing wide. It was David, his silver hair a beacon announcing his presence. He wasn't much older than Meera, but his prematurely gray hair gave him a air of authority that served him well.

"Here he comes."

Meera and Eli stood and I followed suit.

"Sorry about that. I had to park a block up from here." He leaned in next to Meera for a quick kiss. The contrast of his fair features against Meera's made them a striking couple. He gave me a nod, then extended his hand to Eli.

"You must be Kate's friend. Good to meet you."

Eli gave his hand a firm shake. "Likewise."

As we sat, I jumped in. "I've heard great things about this place, David. They are rumored to have the best vegan menu in the city."

David took a quick look around at the restaurant. "Looks like you managed to find one that doesn't look like some hippy commune either. Kudos, Kate."

Meera elbowed him, laughing. "Sorry, Eli. You should know that David is nothing if not particular."

"And is there anything wrong with that? A man should have standards. Just because I prefer to eat in a way that respects my body doesn't mean I have to deal with waiters who haven't showered in a week."

"Bathing is a desirable quality." Eli agreed, giving me a quick grin.

"This menu looks amazing," Meera chimed in.

"Really?" I muttered, quickly adding. "Sorry."

"Your poor taste buds have been tainted by years of eating poison. Did you know, Eli, that Kate used to actually eat the stuff they sold at that little ice rink? I get nauseous just thinking about it."

"Well, excuse me if I don't want to eat..." I looked down at the menu, "'smoky charred Kale' for every meal. And seriously, why does this place have a burger section on the menu? That's just false advertising."

"You like my quinoa patties," Meera reminded me.

"Yes, but I don't call them burgers."

David lifted his glass of water, as if he was going to wash away his disgust with my diet, and took a sip. He paused, glass still in hand and spit the water back in the glass.

"Where's the waiter?" He looked around and waved someone over to the table.

"Sorry, are you ready to order?"

"No, no. This water, what is it?"

"It's bottled water, sir."

"No, what kind? Brand?"

The waiter paused. "Umm, Mountain Winds, I believe?"

David calmly set his glass down on the table. "Could you take these glasses away and bring us all some sparkling water?"

"Of course."

The waiter took the glasses away without a question. Smart waiter.

David looked up and shook his head, explaining. "I'm allergic to Mountain Winds."

"To the water?" Eli asked.

"They use awful chemicals in their bottling plant. Leeches from the plastic into your water."

"Oh? I hadn't heard about that," Eli replied, a genuinely interested look on his face. 

I figured his time wining and dining clients perfected the ability to look that way even in the face of pure boredom.

"You won't find anything in any report. But I can tell. I get an instant migraine if I have more than a sip of the stuff."

"Glad you caught it so quickly, then. Places should be clear about what product they are serving before they bring it to the table."

"Exactly," David agreed.

Meera took out a bottle of hand sanitizer and handed it to David as she spoke, "Well, I know what I am ordering. Should we get some wine for the table?"

"Yes," I said, a little too emphatically.

"Something sulfite-free, obviously," David added.

Eli pushed back from the table suddenly and stood. "I am so sorry, but I need to take a call. It won't be more than five minutes. Kate can order for me."

"What do you want?"

"It all looks great," he said with a smirk. "Surprise me."

David spoke, without looking up from his menu. "I like him, Kate. Not at all who I pictured you with."

"Uh, thanks, I guess."