Chapter 3

TW/mentions of eating disorder

Debut

It was 5am on a Saturday and I couldn't sleep at all. This was supposed to be my day of sleeping in till lunchtime and lazing around with Fe but my sleep decided to disappear.

Fearless would still be asleep so I decided to go downstairs and look for chocolate in the kitchen. Not the normal chocolate, the really good stuff Rep kept hidden away. If I couldn't sleep, I might as well eat something.

I was walking down the hallway and spotted light coming from Folklore's room. I decided to knock on her door and see if she was awake. “Psst, Folklore, are you awake?”

She opened her door giving me a view inside. I guess that was the first time I saw her room since she moved in. It wasn't bad but it was kinda dreary in my opinion.

“Debut? Why are you up so early?”

“Good question. I don't know.”

“Do you want to come in?” She looked a bit puzzled but hey, we're all confused in the morning.

“Sure!” I walked in and took a seat on a chair. She had some puzzle on her floor that she was putting together.

“What's that supposed to be when it's done?”

“It makes a forest. It's supposed to look a bit like the one...” She stopped talking making me frown but then she carried on. “It's supposed to look like this forest I used to explore when I was younger.”

“You went into forests by yourself?”

“Yeah. It's not as scary as it sounds.”

The look on my face was one of scepticism. I don't think even Fearless was fearless enough to do that. “So how do you like this place so far?”

“It's nice.”

“How's... school?”

“Not too bad actually.” My eyes were roaming around the room when they fell on a purple wrapper. “Wait, is that chocolate? I was actually gonna get some before I got here.”

“You can have it if you want but isn't it a bit early for that?”

“Never a bad time for chocolate” My hands couldn't tear the wrapper so Folklore reached over and opened it for me. We each broke a piece off. “Anyway let me tell you about this teacher of mine.”

Folklore listened to me talking for a while. Probably an hour or more I guess. It was refreshing. The other albums found me annoying because I was 'younger and immature' and they ignored me a lot of the time.

Sure, Fearless was my best friend but she spent a lot of time with Speak Now so I didn't always have time to talk to her. Lover was nice too but she was with Rep most of the time and Rep scared the hell out of me.

I still have nightmares about her to this day. Just the other day, I dreamt that she pushed me off a hot air balloon. And I've never even been on one of those things. Only seen them on TV. Folklore on the other hand was an excellent listener.

After today, she moved up my ranking of people in the house. I'd put her in second place after Fearless. Lover unfortunately would go to third. Speak Now and Red were in no particular order but Rep was definitely last.

1989

Sunlight slowly streamed in through the small gaps in my curtains as I sat in bed running my hands through my tangled hair.

Folklore and I spent a lot of time together yesterday. We watched TV all afternoon and then she told me about some of her favourite books. It was nice talking to her and looking at her. No, wait. Why am I thinking that?