#9 So bittersweet

Sloane brought a tray of drinks and snacks into the living room. Luther sat in armchair, smiling like the sun. Lila and Five on the sofa. Sloane started to put the drinks on the coffee table.

"Oh, I'm so glad you're all real!" She uttered with relief.

All of them looked at her a little questioningly, Sloane sat on the edge of the armchair Luther was sitting in and she began to explain, "Everyone's been trying to tell me I'm crazy for the last few years. I've had a head full of memories and vague images that made up a completely unbelievable story. But I didn't have a single piece of evidence that it all really happened, even though I felt it did. That I didn't just have an absolutely insanely vivid imagination. But some things were pretty much in a fog... besides... suddenly I was living in a completely different place, I had no powers. I tried to search, but it was getting nowhere. My psychologist told me that I made everything up to compensate for not having a family. But... you're here now, so that's great!"

Luther grabbed her hand and she smiled happily at him as if it hadn't been years since they'd seen each other, instantly trusting them all.

"That's a better turn of events than I expected. We were a little worried you'd get us out of here because you wouldn't remember us." Lila grinned.

"I remember." She smiled. "You're Lila... aren't you? Even though before you had..."

"Yeah, blonde hair."

"And you're... Five... the youngest and oldest brother at the same time."

"That's kind of it."

Sloane took a long look at them both and then uttered, "So you two are together now?"

This statement surprised them, as they had done nothing to suggest that in front of her.

"Um, how did you know?" Lila asked.

Sloane shrugged her shoulders and smiled, "Let's just say I don't have my powers here, but I do have a little something else, if you can call it that... and I see things in people that they don't say out loud..."

"And what do your abilities tell you about us?"

"That there are very strong bonds and feelings between you. But also something complicated."

"Yeah, that would probably be my husband. Diego, their brother, I'm sure you remember him too."

"Oh..."

"Long story."

"I think I'd like to hear it. By the way, be my guests. It's almost dark, there's not much room here, but I have a guest room."

"Damn, I have to... I have to make a phone call!" Lila jumped up from the couch and ran out of the house.

--

Lila stood leaning against the car, telling a bedtime story into the phone. She kept her word and called her children every day.

Five stood by and listened to the story she told. The first one just went to see if she was okay, but eventually he listened to her voice and couldn't leave. When she told the story, her voice sounded different. You could tell how much she loved her children.

Lila knew he was there, she didn't mind.

After a few minutes, she ended the call, knowing her children were asleep. But still she didn't move, didn't say a word.

Five walked slowly to her and leaned against the car next to her. "Everything okay?"

Lila looked at him and there was sadness in her eyes, "do you think I'm a bad mom?"