Chapter 157

157. The Miracle Child

Six years ago, on the morning of May 27th.

There were still three weeks left until my due date, but my water broke. At noon, my vision went dark.

I don't know what I was thinking when I went to the hospital. If Gook-soon hadn't been by my side, I probably wouldn't have been able to do anything. That's why I went to the hospital relying only on my mom. Gook-soon had packed my bags in advance, so I didn't have to worry about running around.

As soon as I got to the hospital, I changed my clothes, did a urine test, an antibiotic test, and an internal examination... ... Before I knew it, time had passed so quickly that I was lying in the delivery waiting room at noon.

They said that my uterus was progressing slowly. My water broke, but the baby didn't come down. After the stimulant was administered, my stomach started to hurt a little. As it got stronger, I was even more scared at noon.

"Mom, what should I do... ... ."

"It's okay. It's okay. You can do it. It's okay."

Kook-soon said firmly.

"What should I do? What should I do... ... ."

"The pain hasn't even started yet."

"So what should I do? I haven't even started yet and I already feel sick... ... ."

"Just think of it as taking a watermelon out of your body."

"... ... Mom, is that what you're saying? I'm scared to death... ... ."

"If you think of it as taking out a watermelon, it might be a little less difficult."

Kook-soon answered nonchalantly and got up. In fact, Kook-soon was also very worried, but he continued to pretend that he was okay for the sake of his daughter who was very scared.

The child was shivering with parched lips, and I felt sorry for him. I tried to get some water and moisten the child's lips, but Jung-oh grabbed him tightly.

"Mom, don't go. Don't go."

"Just wait a minute."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get water."

"No. Just stay by my side. I think the baby is going to come out."

Because of the noon fuss, Guk-soon had to stay in one place and do nothing.

There was pain, but time passed slowly. After some time, Jung-oh became quiet, perhaps tired of nagging his mother. In the meantime, Gook-soon held Jung-oh's hand tightly and talked to him about an important decision.

"I heard there's something called cord blood storage. My friends gave me hundreds of thousands of won each so that I could be the first to see my grandchild. So I did it. Mom signed it in your name. Is that okay?"

"I don't know. Mom will take care of it... ."

Noon-oh answered carelessly, due to the intermittent pain and fear of what was to come. Undaunted, Gook-soon continued his explanation. He wanted to convince his daughter that the million won investment was not in vain.

"In the past, people just threw away the umbilical cord, but I heard there's something amazing about it. They say that the blood in it can cure incurable diseases. Even things like leukemia used to be treated with bone marrow transplants, but now they say they can do it with the umbilical cord. Isn't that amazing?"

"Mom, I'm really sick... ... ."

"I hope she grows up healthy and without any illnesses, but you never know. My granddaughter doesn't have any siblings, so if something big happens later on, she'll regret it later. That's why I decided to keep it for 15 years. They said I can apply for an extension after 15 years. Didn't I do a good job, Mom?"