CHAPTER 17

He would die for her,
He would kill for her!

With that he drifted of to sleep, too, with his whole world in his arms.

Lila woke up to an empty bed, the sheets rumpled from the previous night's passion. She stretched, yawned, and swung her legs over the side, her feet dangling in the air. After freshening up, she began her descent downstairs, her hand trailing on the banister. Just as she reached the landing, her phone rang, shrill in the morning silence. "Dr. Anya" flashed on the caller ID.

Lila's heart skipped a beat as she answered, her voice tentative. Dr. Anya's words tumbled out in a rush: Varyl's surgery was scheduled, and he had an 80% chance of survival. Lila's grip on the phone tightened, her knuckles white with worry.

As she hung up, Ryker appeared beside her, his eyes crinkling at the corners,"it was Dr Anya, varyl is going in surgery", Lila told him.

"Yeah, I got the message from the hospital," he said, his voice low and reassuring.

Lila's eyes searched his face, seeking comfort. Ryker's expression was calm, but his jaw was set, a hint of tension beneath the surface. Together, they headed to the kitchen, where Ryker had already laid out breakfast. Lila's appetite was nonexistent, but she forced herself to eat, her mind racing with thoughts of Varyl's surgery.

Their breakfast was a quiet affair, the only sound the clinking of silverware on plates. Ryker's eyes never left Lila's face, his gaze a steady, comforting presence. As they finished, Ryker pushed back his chair, his movements economical. "Let's go," he said, his voice soft.

Lila nodded, her heart heavy with worry. They headed out, the morning sunlight casting long shadows behind them. The hospital loomed ahead, its walls a formidable presence. Lila's grip on Ryker's hand tightened, her eyes locked on his, "it's going to be oky, leonessá", he told her.

Together, they stepped inside, ready to face whatever lay ahead.

As they entered the hospital, Dr. Anya greeted them with a warm smile. "You can see him now," she said, leading them to Varyl's room.

Lila's heart raced as she pushed open the door, her eyes scanning the room until they landed on Varyl's pale face. He lay in bed, his eyes sunken, but a weak smile spread across his face as he saw Lila.

Ryker followed close behind, his presence a reassuring shadow in the doorway. Lila rushed to Varyl's side, her hands grasping his frail ones. "Hey, little flower", she whispered, her voice trembling.

Varyl's eyes flickered with fear, but he tried to reassure her with a brave smile. "I'll be okay, Leo", he whispered back.

Lila's grip on his hand tightened. "You will be, Varyl. You have to be. You're strong, and you'll get through this."

Ryker cleared his throat, his deep voice a gentle rumble. "Yeah, kid. You're going to be okay. We've got the best doctors on it," he continued,"and after all you're as strong, as your sister".

For a moment, the gruff mafia boss's mask slipped, revealing a glimmer of softness beneath. Varyl's eyes locked onto Ryker's, and a small spark of hope ignited within them.

Ryker was worried about him, for Lila's sake, for his sake...

Dr. Anya smiled, her eyes shining with warmth. "We'll take good care of him. I promise."

As they spoke, Lila's gaze never left Varyl's face, her heart aching with worry. Ryker's presence behind her was a steady comfort, his hand on her shoulder a gentle reminder of his support.

In this fragile moment, the hospital room was a sanctuary, a place of hope and reassurance. Varyl's fear began to recede, replaced by a sense of determination. He would fight, and he would win.