CHAPTER 21

The next morning was the same.

Lila's eyes fluttered open, her gaze met with the empty space beside her. Ryker's absence was palpable, the bed feeling vast and lonely without his warm, solid presence. She sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, her mind foggy with the remnants of slumber.

After freshening up, Lila made her way downstairs, her bare feet padding softly on the cold stone floor. She moved with a quiet purpose, her eyes fixed on the coffee maker as she expertly brewed a rich, aromatic cup.

Just as she took her first sip, her brother Varyl shuffled into the room, his eyes bleary, his hair mussed from sleep. "Morning, sis," he mumbled, his voice husky with slumber.

Lila smiled, her heart warming at the sight of her brother. "Morning, flower," she replied, her voice soft.

Varyl ambled towards her, his movements slow and languid. He planted a quick, gentle kiss on her cheek, his lips brushing against her skin with a soft, affectionate touch.

Lila smiled at him, her heart filled with warmth at the tender gesture from her brother. She felt a deep sense of comfort, of familiarity, in this quiet morning moment with Varyl.

The sunlight streaming through the windows cast a warm, golden glow over the scene, illuminating the dust motes dancing in the air. The coffee's rich aroma filled the space, mingling with the sweet scent of Varyl's sleepy presence.

In this peaceful, serene moment, Lila felt a sense of home, of being exactly where she was meant to be, surrounded by the people she loved.

She was happy that varyl was oky, that he was with her. Lia looked at him as she poured steaming hot tea into a delicate china cup, the aromatic scent of Earl Grey wafting through the air as she handed it to Varyl. He accepted it with a sleepy smile, his eyes still heavy with slumber.

"What are your plan now, Varyl?" Lila asked, her voice gentle, as she settled into the plush armchair across from him. "Do you want to attend school here or...?"

Varyl's gaze drifted off, his thoughts seemingly a thousand miles away. "I want to go to a boarding school," he said finally, his voice laced with a quiet determination.

Lila's eyebrows rose in surprise. "A boarding school? Why?"

Varyl's shoulders shrugged, his expression introspective. "I want to live my own life, make my own decisions. I don't want to be stuck here, under the same roof as... everything."

Lila nodded understandingly, her eyes filled with empathy. "I get it," she said softly. "But are you sure you're ready for that? Boarding school can be tough."

Varyl's jaw set, his eyes flashing with resolve. "I'm positive," he said firmly. "I need to get away, start fresh."

The siblings sat in silence for a moment, the only sound the gentle hum of the tea kettle in the background.

"You know I'll support you, no matter what," Lila said finally, her voice filled with warmth.

Varyl's face softened, a small smile playing on his lips. "Thanks, sis," he said gratefully. "Means a lot coming from you."

As they sipped their tea, the morning sunlight streaming through the windows cast a warm glow over the scene, illuminating the quiet understanding between them.

Lila leaned forward, her eyes locked on Varyl's, her voice filled with excitement. "So, which boarding school are you thinking of? And what made you choose it?"

Varyl's face lit up, his enthusiasm evident. "I've been thinking about it even before my operation and I searched about it too, and I found this amazing school in the countryside. It's got a great reputation, and it's far enough away that I can really start fresh."