Chapter 8 Vera's Last Breath

“Hello Mr. Wayne.”

“Who's this?” Thomas said angrily.

“My name is Morgan. I am the prosecutor appointed to the Jonathan Crane case.”

“Oh, sorry about that Mr. Morgan. We have been getting calls from an unknown caller and I was just frustrated.  Sorry for being so rude.”

“It’s fine, I understand. I would react the same way.” 

“So, what is this call concerning?”  

“I called because I wanted to know if Mrs. Wayne could testify in court against Jonathan Crane.”

“Testify?  Couldn't she just give you a written statement?” Thomas asked.

“No, we need her testimony. It would be more compelling if the judge could hear her point of view from her mouth. A statement wouldn’t be as personal. It wouldn't make the same emotional impact.”

Martha could hear Thomas saying her name and she came closer.

“Who’s on the phone dear?”

Thomas put his hand on the receiver.

“It’s the prosecutor over the Jonathan Crane case.”

“What does he want?”

“He wants to know if you’d be willing to testify against the doctor.”

“Let me have the phone. What’s his name again?”

“Mr. Morgan.”

Martha grabs the phone from Thomas.

“Hello Mr. Morgan, this is Martha Wayne.”

“Hello Ma’am.”

“My husband said that you wanted me to testify against Jonathan Crane.”

“Yes, ma’am. At this time, we only have a few women that are willing to testify but I believe more would come forward if you were to lead the charge.”

Martha paused for a bit and then contemplated. She could feel it growing in her heart and she knew it was the right thing to do.

“So, will you do it?”

“Yes, I’ll do it!”

“Thank you, ma’am. I’ll call you with more details.”

Martha hung up the phone and Thomas looked worried.

“Thomas, before you say anything. Hear me out. I want to testify. I know you're worried but this is the right thing to do.”

“What are you thinking, I thought you didn’t want anybody to know. We went through so much to keep this quiet. Why…

“Why? You mean why won’t I be a good wife, why won't I shut up and stop embarrassing you? Is that what you were going to say? You can be such a jerk sometimes. You should know better than anyone. I'm not going to stand still; I'm not going to let it go and I am not going to let you or anyone else do this to me again.”

“That’s not what I was going to say. I just…”

“Stop talking and listen!”

Thomas froze. He had never heard Martha talk this way.

“Thomas, I don’t care about how they will look at me. What I do care about is that you are on my side. Don’t you know that man tortured me. He took me away from my family and he held me prisoner in that facility. This is the first time in a long time, I’m thinking clearly. That man will not control me and he will not control anybody else.  I’m going to testify and put that man away for the rest of his life.”