Chapter 5: Honkai Energy

"So, did you try to save me after seeing me burning with a fever and losing my consciousness, or did you just watch from a distance without coming to help?"

" Cough! I wasn't paying close attention to you at that time, so I couldn't notice all the details! Anyway, give me your hand."

Hearing Sigurd's reproachful tone, Siegfried scratched his head awkwardly.

Without hesitation, Sigurd extended his hand.

Their hands, one big and one small, clasped together.

Then, a circuit-like pattern on Sigurd's hand back lit up, emitting a strange peach-colored glow that extended from the back of his hand to his arm.

Sigurd lifted his collar and saw that the glowing pattern extended past his heart, covering more than half of his body.

"What is this?"

Sigurd's face darkened as a sense of unease surged within him.

"It's the pattern caused by the honkai erosion."

Siegfried replied.

The expected answer caused a complex expression to appear on Sigurd's face. He retracted his hand, looking at the disappeared pattern, and thoughtfully said:

"Is it because of Kiana?"

"That wasn't her intention. She was so worried about your health that she lost control of her mind, and the power of the Herrscher took advantage of that. Essentially, it was an extremely concentrated torrent of Honkai Energy, and you were practically at the center of the outbreak... If you want to be angry, you can hit my face a couple of times, but please don't blame Kiana. She absolutely, absolutely didn't mean to harm you."

Siegfried said apologetically. In fact, this was the real reason he appeared—to explain the situation to Sigurd and guide the outcome in a direction that wouldn't cause too much harm to Kiana before things took a turn for the worst.

Sigurd put down his hand and lowered his gaze, saying:

"I won't blame Kiana for this, you can rest assured. But you have to tell me, what is my current condition?"

"Of course. Actually, although this was an unintentional mistake on Kiana's part, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. For over 99% of ordinary people, being corrupted by Honkai is a deadly poison. Even a slight contact with this energy can take their lives. And the remaining less than 1% of people who can survive honkai erosion are mostly women. In other words, men with resistance to Honkai Energy are truly one in a million."

At this point, Siegfried paused for a moment and pointed to himself, saying:

"The Kaslana family is an exception, don't count me in. Even as someone who has dealt with Honkai Energy since birth, I have only encountered two men who can adapt to it in my lifetime: one is a person who has lived for 500 years, I don't even know if he's human; the other is a Herrscher with human characteristics, who is actually not human. Speaking in this way, you are the only man I have ever met with resistance to Honkai Energy."

"Do you understand how rare that is?"

Sigurd nodded. Indeed, Otto and Welt Yang couldn't be reasoned with using common sense. Throughout the entire story of Honkai Impact 3rd, men with compatibility to the Honkai Energy like Adam, the protagonist of the future world, were indeed a rare breed.

Siegfried sighed and continued:

"For ordinary people, Honkai Energy is a deadly poison, but for those with resistance, within their tolerance limits, Honkai Energy is a miraculous power. It can strengthen the fragile human body and bring unimaginable strength. In other words, those who can wield Honkai Energy are considered superhumans in the eyes of ordinary people."