Chapter 22: Ruins

If you want to see more chapter of this story and don't mind paying $5 each month to read the latest posted chapter, please go to my Patreon.

Latest Chapter in Patreon: Chapter 182: The Iron-Handed Father

https://www.patreon.com/Strijder

<+>

"My Lord, upon entering the effective communication range, we received 13 missed communication requests from the mansion, with the most recent one placed 17 minutes ago. Dialing the mansion's communication channel... Connection established."

Sigurd collected himself and asked directly, "Is that you, Robbins? What's happening in the city?"

"Boss... Finally... Finally got through... Come back... Save... Vi...Ra..."

The voice came intermittently, accompanied by weak gasps and occasional coughing up of blood.

Not good, it was the worst-case scenario.

"20, no, I'll be there in 17 minutes. You guys go to the basement and hide. It's the strongest defensive spot."

"We're already... already in the basement... Boss, Vira, I'm counting on you..."

The communication went silent, with even the faintest sound of Robbins' breath disappearing.

Sigurd's teeth made a faint grinding sound as he suppressed his voice and said coldly:

"Icarus, link with the mansion's mainframe data. I want to know what happened after I left."

"Yes, My Lord."

Then a series of images appeared in Sigurd's glasses:

Firstly, although Sigurd didn't have time to explain clearly, Robbins sensed that the situation was extraordinary, so he used the capabilities of Icarus, the mansion's AI, to call in an armed force.

Normally, this would be the right move, and even Icarus deemed it a reasonable suggestion.

However, the Honkai cannot be inferred by conventional means.

Robbins didn't know one fact, and Icarus also overlooked it due to its weak ability to make associative connections based on mechanical thinking. That fact was that under suitable conditions, infected individuals would turn into zombie-like creatures upon death, and superior specimens might even become Deadwalkers equivalent to Honkai Beasts.

And so, the Honkai Beasts attacked.

It seemed that a branch of Honkai had occurred in the snowy mountains. One wave headed towards the town of Ulu, and another wave directly attacked the city of Yodarha. There might be other branches yet to be discovered.

In any case, some Honkai Beasts reached the front gate of the mansion.

At first, the mansion's formidable firepower repelled the attack, and the momentarily panicked troops quickly regained order and actively joined the defense efforts under Robbins' reassurance.

With ample defensive forces, they successfully repelled three waves of Honkai Beasts, but more and more of them continued to gather.

As the bodies of Honkai Beasts piled up, the mansion's mainframe recorded the gradual increase in Honkai Energy concentration until it reached a certain threshold.

After that, some soldiers in the force became infected and died.

At this stage, the situation hadn't become too dire yet. Icarus began to employ some immature techniques to gradually suppress the Honkai Energy concentration within the mansion. If things had continued in this manner, with the firepower reserves of the mansion, holding on for half a day wouldn't have been a problem.