Chapter 36

The energy in the room was off for a second. Everyone could sense it. The two boys, Jake and Heeseung, seemed to be carrying some jealousy towards each other. A few glances, and they knew how they both felt about each other. And it wasn't positive, to say the least. A sense of competition rising between the two of them with each minute that passed. But soon, that moment flickered, the two boys realising it wasn't worth it. 

"Sit, Hee," You say, gesturing to the seat next to Jake. 

Shit. Jake thought to himself. Why couldn't the guy just sit somewhere else? Does he really have to sit right next to me?

Oh, for fucks sake. Not next to the Jake guy. Anywhere but near him. Heeseung thought. 

Heeseung sits down next to Jake, hesitantly. Jake looks towards him and smiles. A smile that they both know is fake. The fakest smile ever. But Heeseung returns a smile. Another fake one. But, it helps fool everyone else in the room. Hannah returns to the pan, cooking up some of her breakfast for Heeseung. You and Sunoo grab a laptop to look through the photos on the USB. Your voices fill the room, but to both Jake and Heeseung, the room is dead silent. 

Heeseung can only pay attention to you. His eyes glued. As if someone had gotten super glue and taken his eyes, and stuck them onto your face. He was so mesmerised by your every move. Even the smallest things. A small movement of your hand. The way the corners of your lips would lift up when you smiled at the photo you were looking at. The way you held onto Sunoo's shoulder. Everything was mesmerising. It was all so mystical to him. He wouldn't be surprised if, after a while, he started seeing a light glow and sparkles around you. 

Meanwhile, Jake's world was silent. He could feel his heart break into a million pieces. Over. And over. And over again. He hated the way you interacted with Heeseung. It had changed. This wasn't the way you were the first time Jake met Heeseung. Then, Jake knew for sure that you didn't care about Heeseung. But now, Jake wasn't so sure. He saw the fleeting looks, the blushing cheeks, the lingering touches. He saw it all. 

And he knew, that he really never had a chance. You were never his. And you would never be his. He held back tears, trying to focus on the food in front of him. Trying to distract himself from the fact that the one thing he had hoped for, would never happen. He was never going to get the girl. And he knew, he was a fool for thinking, even hoping, that he would. Maybe his friends were right. If he had just grown some confidence and confessed, maybe things would be different.  

"Want some more, Jake?" Hannah says, breaking the silence, by asking if the boy wanted some more food. 

"Huh?" Jake's voice is low, almost a whisper. "Oh, I'm good, thank you." 

Hannah notices the cracks in his voice. But she decides not to press it, especially not in front of Heeseung. She could sense that there was a weird tension. Probably just Jake being protective. But, Hannah didn't want to risk making it any more awkward than it already was. 

"What about you, Heeseung?" Hannah asked. 

"Oh, uh, I'll take some." He smiled at Hannah, trying to make the situation less tense. 

You and Sunoo continue to look through the pictures, enjoying the silly ones.