eighteen

Travis

My side hurt like fucking hell when I was dragged back to consciousness. But hey, that meant I was still alive, so I'd take it.

I opened my eyes, immediately looking down to see a blonde head resting on my chest. Taylor was sitting on the ground next to the couch I was lying on, her hand clutching mine, fast asleep. There was a blanket half draped over her, and she looked exhausted. I reached down with my free hand, stroking her hair very lightly. She'd taken care of me. Probably saved my life.

"Mhm." Taylor sighed, her hand twitching in mine. "No." She whispered quietly.

"Kitten." I breathed, touching her arm and shaking gently. "Kitten wake up."

"No, no!" She gasped, and when I shook her arm again, her eyes flew open and her head lifted. "Travis." Taylor breathed. "Baby."

"Hey there little kitten." I whispered. Taylor let out a sob, flinging her arms around my neck and hugging me close. I wrapped my arms around her back, wincing as I moved but needing to have her close. "You okay?" I breathed against her hair.

"Oh don't worry about me you idiot." She laughed, pulling back to shake her head at me, her eyes wet with tears. "How do you feel? Does it hurt?"

"Kitten I was stabbed, of course it hurts."

"Don't joke about this!" Taylor complained. "Just....just stay there okay? I'll get you some painkillers."

I nodded, watching as she let go of me and got to her feet, rushing off to the kitchen. She fumbled around in the cupboards for a moment and then filled a glass of water, bringing some pills over as well. I tried to sit up a little and Taylor placed her hand behind my head, helping me to take the pills. She was so gentle, so sweet taking care of me that it almost brought tears to my eyes. Reaching out, I cupped her cheek softly, and her blue eyes flickered up to meet mine.

"What?" She breathed.

"Thank you." I said quietly. "I shouldn't have come to you but I was scared and you were the only one I wanted to see."

"Travis, baby." Taylor shifted close and pressed her forehead to mine, letting out a sigh. "I'm so glad you came here. You scared the shit out of me, but everything worked out okay somehow." I nodded, moving forwards to kiss her lightly. Taylor cupped my face in her hands, holding herself close as she kissed me back, but she didn't let it go very far. When I tried to pull her even closer for more, she let out a sigh and shook her head, pulling back. "Baby, no." She whispered. "You're hurt. You need to rest."

"No." I corrected her. "I have to work."

"What?" Taylor's eyebrows shot up.

"World doesn't stop because I got stabbed kitten." I murmured, stroking her cheek very lightly. "I've got things to take care of."

"No the fuck you do not." Taylor folded her arms stubbornly and I raised my eyebrows at her. "You got stabbed, and you probably nearly died if it wasn't for my minimal medical knowledge. I'm not letting all of that go to waste because you're a workaholic, so you are going to keep your ass right here on this couch, or in my bed so you can get some proper sleep, but you are not leaving this place until you're better."

I stared at her, but she stared right back adamantly. She really wasn't going to let me go anywhere, and to be honest, I was blown away with admiration at the way she stood her ground. Taylor pressed her lips together, and I knew there was no way I'd be allowed to go back to work. I didn't want to fight her.

"Okay." I said softly, reaching out for her hand to try and defuse her annoyance. Weaving my fingers through her, I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it gently. "Okay." I repeated. "I'm sorry. You're right."