eight

"Who are you?" I sobbed as the man started to drag me towards a nearby car. "What the hell do you want with me?" 

"It's nothing personal little girl." I was told. "But you saw the boss' face. He ain't like that, so you gotta die."

"I didn't see anyone's face!" I insisted. "I have no idea who you're talking about."

"Yeah, nice try." The man scoffed.

"Please!" I kicked and screamed as he carried me, to no avail.

Then there was a bang, and the man keeled over. We tumbled to the floor and he landed on top of me, knocking the air out of my lungs. Then he was yanked away, and Travis was standing over me.

"Kitten." He whispered, holding out his arms. I scrambled up and threw myself into them, clinging to him, holding on tightly with my arms wrapped around his neck. "You're okay, you're okay, I've got you kitten." Travis murmured, hugging me close.

"Who is he?" I sobbed. "I didn't do anything."

"I know, I know. He's gone kitten, he won't hurt you." Travis' arms tightened around me, and I nodded, feeling safe in his embrace. He held me close, and I felt his breath against my hair. "Okay kitten, we need to get you out of here."

Sniffling, I let him half carry, half walk me over to his car. Travis put me in the passenger seat, promised to be back soon, and gave me the keys. I locked the door once he'd closed it, watching as he went back over to the motionless man lying next to the other car. Travis hefted him up, shoved him inside the car, and then pulled out his phone and seemed to take a call. Then he hung up, walking back towards me.

I unlocked the door so Travis could get in, passing the keys over once he sat next to me. My whole body was trembling, tears drying on my cheeks as I sat there. Travis sighed, turning to me.

"Fuck I'm sorry kitten." He murmured. "I never meant for any of this to come for you."

"How did you know where I was?" I whispered. "Were you following me?"

"I just wanted to make sure you got home safe, and I was going to leave but then I saw you come back out and I couldn't leave you out alone." 

I wasn't sure what to think. If he hadn't shown up, I had no idea what would have happened to me, but being followed terrified me. Not enough not to thank him for saving my life though.

"Are you hurt?" Travis asked.

"No." I let out a breath I hadn't known I'd been holding. "I just...I mean he fell on top of me but that's all."

"Let's get you home then kitten." 

I nodded, cowering back into the seat as Travis turned his car on and pulled out into the road. I calmed down as he drove, feeling a lot safer, and I stopped shaking. It was weird, but even after seeing Travis murder someone in front of me, I trusted that he wouldn't lift a finger towards me. 

When Travis pulled up outside the apartment complex, he turned off his car and turned to look at me. I swallowed, unsure what to say or do, just holding his gaze. There was so much I wanted to say, but none of it felt right and I knew I wouldn't. The fear had passed. He'd saved me.

"I'm stuck in it now, aren't I?" I whispered.

"Yes." Travis sighed. "I'm sorry kitten. But I promise I won't let anyone hurt you."

I sighed, turning my whole body to face Travis, leaning over to rest my forehead against his shoulder. We sat there in silence for a few minutes, and eventually, I lifted my head. My breath caught when I realized how close Travis and I were, and I saw his eyes dip down to my lips. I swallowed.