Business and Expectations

Deon's pov

I stood in front of the mirror, adjusting my all-black suit. The tailored fabric fit perfectly, a testament to the quality of the designer. I checked my reflection, ensuring every detail was immaculate. Today's lunch with Mr. Vico and his family was crucial. It was not just a social event but a strategic meeting, and I needed to project the right image-powerful, composed, and unyielding.

I ran a hand through my neatly styled hair, and the scent of my cologne lingered in the air. The Rolex on my wrist glinted under the light, a subtle reminder of the influence and status I wielded. I had made it clear to my men that today's event required discretion and focus. I needed everything to go smoothly, without any distractions.

As I buttoned up my jacket, I found my thoughts drifting to Lyra. The recent developments had been unexpected, and while I understood the need to accommodate her, I was concerned about the potential complications her presence might bring. This was a gathering for mafia business, and the presence of someone with her background might complicate things. My primary concern was maintaining the professionalism and secrecy required for such high-stakes discussions.

I glanced at the clock-time was ticking away, and I needed to head out soon. The Vico family was known for their influence, and their presence could impact various facets of our operations. They were important allies, and I couldn't afford any missteps.

As I made my way toward the door, I instructed my assistant to ensure that everything was in order at the venue. I trusted them to handle the finer details and keep things running smoothly. My focus remained fixed on the task at hand.

With one final check of my appearance, I headed out of the mansion, my mind already shifting to the negotiations and discussions awaiting me. Today was pivotal, and I was determined to navigate it with the precision and control that defined my role.

I made my way downstairs to the dining area, where everyone was already seated. The Vico family was present, with Giovanni beside his mother, Isabella, and Alessandra, of course, positioned near my seat. Despite her father, Mr. Vico, repeatedly insisting that Alessandra sit beside him as it was more appropriate, she continued to linger near me.

I took my place at the end of the dining table, noting an empty seat where Harper should have been. We couldn't start eating or talking until she arrived. As I looked around, I heard the distinct sound of heels approaching-not just two pairs, but four. I turned over my shoulder to see Harper walking in, with Lyra close by. Harper's expression was tense, and I could sense the trouble she was in for.

My gaze shifted between Harper and Lyra. Harper seemed to be doing her best to comfort Lyra, who was dressed in a short, tight dress that hugged her figure. The scars on her legs and arms were clearly visible, and her perfume filled the room, creating an intoxicating aura. I sighed inwardly; Harper had clearly overstepped by bringing Lyra into this setting.

Harper gently guided Lyra to the seat next to me and then took her own place beside her. The room fell into a stunned silence as everyone's eyes turned to Lyra, their expressions a mix of confusion, shock, and surprise.

I knew there was one person at this table who would be particularly displeased with the situation. I took a brief glance at Alessandra, and sure enough, her face was flushed with anger and jealousy. It was clear she was not only surprised but also frustrated by the unexpected addition to our lunch.

I shot a stern look at Harper, silently conveying my displeasure, before turning my attention back to Lyra. This was turning into a more complicated situation than I had anticipated. The dynamics at the table were already tense, and Lyra's presence was only adding to the complexity of the gathering.