A Moment of Clarity

Lyras pov

As I slowed down from my run, my legs still buzzing with energy, I stood in the middle of the garden, my breath ragged, and my heart pounding. The cool night air kissed my skin, bringing a sense of calm that I hadn't felt in days. I glanced over at Deon, who stood nearby, watching me. There was no judgment in his eyes, just a quiet understanding. It was a look I had never received before-one that told me he didn't need to understand everything about me to support me.

For the first time in a long while, I didn't feel like a lab experiment. I wasn't 'Subject 019' or 'the girl with the speed.' I was just... me. Running like this, outside of the sterile walls of that lab, made me feel free. I wasn't trapped behind glass, with scientists watching my every move, waiting for me to fail or surpass some impossible expectation.

Here, it was just me and the grass beneath my feet, the wind rushing past my ears, and Deon standing nearby, giving me the space I needed without saying too much.

When he walked over to me, his hand resting lightly on my shoulder, I felt grounded. His presence was steady, and in some strange way, comforting. I didn't even know how to process that. I had spent my entire life in isolation, surrounded by people who saw me as nothing more than a tool-a subject to be tested, pushed, and prodded. But here was Deon, not asking anything of me, just letting me... be.

"Anytime you need to run, or if you need anything else, just let me know. I'm here for you," he said quietly.

Those words hit me harder than I expected. No one had ever offered that before-help, support, understanding. I had always been alone. I stared down at the grass, the exhaustion from running starting to settle in. I didn't even realize how much I had needed to hear something like that. How much I had needed someone to see me as more than just a number or a weapon.

I nodded, unsure of what to say. "Thanks, Deon."

For a while, we just stood there, the night wrapping around us like a blanket. The silence wasn't uncomfortable-it was peaceful. I could hear the faint rustling of the trees, the distant hum of the city beyond the mansion's walls, and my own heartbeat finally slowing down to a calm rhythm.

"I never thought I'd be here," I said after a long pause, surprising myself with the admission. "Not just... here with you, but here-outside, free. I never thought I'd get away from that place. I thought I'd die in that lab, like the others."

Deon didn't say anything right away, but I could feel the weight of his attention on me, like he was really listening. That was another thing I wasn't used to-being listened to, being heard.

"You're not there anymore," he finally said, his voice low and steady. "And you won't ever have to go back."

I wanted to believe him. More than anything, I wanted to believe that this was my new reality-that I wouldn't be hunted down, dragged back, or thrown into another cage. But there was still a part of me that couldn't shake the fear, the lingering doubt that freedom wasn't meant for people like me.

"I don't know if I'll ever feel free," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper. "Even when I run, it's like I'm still trying to escape something. I don't know if that feeling will ever go away."

Deon turned to look at me, his dark eyes serious. "Maybe it won't. But that doesn't mean you have to keep running from it."

I frowned, not quite understanding what he meant. He didn't explain further, just gave me a look that made me feel like he knew more than he let on. Maybe he was right. Maybe I was running from something that wasn't just about the lab or the scientists-it was deeper than that. I had been running for so long, I didn't even know what I was running towards anymore.

We stood there a little while longer before I finally spoke again. "I should probably go inside. Get some rest."

Deon nodded. "I'll walk you back."

I didn't argue. As we walked side by side through the garden, the silence between us felt different now-lighter, maybe even a little hopeful. When we reached the door, I stopped and turned to him.

"Deon..." I hesitated, not sure how to say what I was feeling. "I know I haven't been the easiest person to deal with, but... thank you. For everything."

He gave me a small, almost imperceptible nod. "You don't need to thank me, Lyra. Just... take care of yourself."

I smiled, a real smile this time, and for once, it didn't feel forced.

"Goodnight, Deon," I said softly, turning to head up to my room.

"Goodnight, Lyra."

As I closed the door behind me, I realized that for the first time in what felt like forever, I wasn't just running. I was finally starting to slow down. And maybe, just maybe, that was okay.