The Unseen Absence

Deon's pov

The next morning, the mansion buzzed with its usual activity. Everyone gathered downstairs for breakfast, discussing ongoing operations and strategies for the mafia. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon filled the air, mingling with the low hum of conversation and laughter.

As I reviewed some documents and gave instructions to Angelo and Marco, I couldn't help but notice Lyra's absence. She was usually among the first to rise, always up early and present at these morning meetings. Her usual presence was missing today, and it was out of character.

"Have you seen Lyra this morning?" I asked Harper, who was coordinating the breakfast arrangements. Her expression shifted from casual to concerned as she looked up from her clipboard.

"No, I haven't seen her. She wasn't in her room when I checked, and she's not answering her phone," Harper replied, her brow furrowing with worry.

I glanced at the other men, who exchanged looks of confusion. It wasn't like Lyra to simply disappear without any word. A knot of unease tightened in my chest.

"I'm going to check on her," I said, pushing back my chair. The room fell silent as everyone looked at me, their curiosity piqued.

I quickly made my way upstairs, my mind racing with various scenarios. I knocked on her door, but there was no response. A sense of urgency gripped me as I tried the handle, finding it unlocked. I pushed the door open and stepped inside.

Her room was empty, the bed neatly made and no signs of disturbance. I scanned the room, my gaze falling on the closet. The door was slightly ajar, but her clothes and belongings were in place.

As I turned to leave, I noticed a small, folded note on her nightstand. My heart pounded as I picked it up and unfolded it. The handwriting was hurried and shaky:

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry anyone. I just needed some space. Please don't look for me. I'll be back soon."

My jaw clenched as I read the note, confusion and concern warring within me. Lyra's sudden disappearance and the note left me uneasy. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong. I needed to find out where she was and make sure she was safe.

I headed back downstairs, the note clutched in my hand. "Lyra's not here, and she left a note," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "She says she needs space, but I'm not buying it. We need to find her."

The room buzzed with concern as the men and Harper immediately began to mobilize, preparing to search for her.

"Check the security cameras," I ordered, my voice sharp with urgency. "We need to find out what happened."

The men scrambled to the security room, only to return with grim expressions. "The security feed is cut off," Angelo reported. "There's no record or memory of her leaving. It looks like someone disabled the cameras."

My frustration grew. Lyra wouldn't just run away; she only knew the mansion, and there was no reason for her to leave.

"If she didn't leave on her own, then someone must have taken her," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "We need to find out who's behind this and where they've taken her."

The urgency was palpable as everyone sprang into action, combing through the mansion and searching for any clues. My thoughts raced as I tried to piece together what could have happened. Lyra was in danger, and I had to find her-before it was too late.

"Wouldn't she just be able to phase through anything or run away?" Marco asked, his confusion evident.

I paused, considering his words. He was right; Lyra's abilities should have allowed her to escape any situation, especially if she was in the mansion. Then it hit me.

I slammed my fist against the wall, the force of it echoing through the room. "Of course," I growled, the realization dawning on me. "It was the bastards-the scientists. They must've found us and taken her. They'd have used locks to disable her powers and prevent her from escaping."

The room fell silent, the gravity of the situation sinking in. The men exchanged worried glances, and Harper's face was pale. I could see the concern etched on everyone's faces.

"Get back to work," I barked, my voice sharp with frustration. "We need to find out where they took her and get her back. I don't care what it takes-every resource at our disposal. Now!"

The urgency in my voice spurred the team into action. They dispersed, mobilizing the resources and contacts necessary to track down Lyra and the scientists who had taken her. My mind raced with anger and determination. I had promised to protect her, and now I had to find her before it was too late.