15. Cookies

M I N J I

"Minjeong, what the hell is this?!" I yelled into the phone on my desk, pacing the room with crumpled exam papers in hand.

"A 28-year-old woman at 36 weeks comes in with sudden shortness of breath, chest pain, and tachycardia. Her D-dimer is elevated, and there's decreased oxygen saturation. What are the possible complications?!" I shouted, barely getting it all out in one breath.

Minjeong chuckled on the other end, clearly amused. "That's classic for a pulmonary embolism, Minji. Did you really need me for that one?"

I sighed heavily, slumping back into my chair as I rolled toward my laptop. "Gosh, this is too much to cover in one night."

"You should've started studying a week ago, Minji. Dr. Lee already went over all of this," Minjeong said, her tone teasing but not unsympathetic.

"I know, and I did most of it. I just thought this last bit would be easier, so I... procrastinated." I rubbed my forehead, realizing how bad of a decision that had been.

"Weren't you at your friend's wedding? And wasn't your married ex there, too?" Minjeong asked, her voice dripping with curiosity.

I rolled my eyes, even though she couldn't see me. "Yeah, I was."

"How'd that go?" she asked, sounding genuinely interested.

"It went perfectly," I said, unable to hide the smile creeping onto my face.

"So... does that mean you two are back together?" Minjeong pressed, her tone shifting to one of excitement.

I shrugged, even though she couldn't see that either. "I don't know what it means. We didn't really have time to talk about it."

Minjeong scoffed. "Didn't have time? Minji, you spent an entire weekend together!"

A blush involuntarily spread across my face as I mumbled, "We were busy..."

Minjeong let out an exasperated laugh. "Right, busy. Okay, whatever. Just make sure you sort your life out before Karina and I have to pick you up from a bar again because you got drunk and sad after seeing your ex with her husband on social media."

I cringed at the memory. "Hey, that was two years ago. Let it go, will you?"

"I'll try. But seriously, it's already 6 PM. Go study. See you tomorrow," Minjeong said, finally letting me off the hook.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow," I replied, ending the call and tossing my phone onto the desk with a frustrated groan. I grabbed my glasses, slipped them on, and forced myself back to work.

Fifteen minutes later, I couldn't take it anymore. It was time for a coffee break. I stood up, stretching my sore neck before reaching for my phone again. Just as my hand found it, the screen lit up, and it started ringing.

I picked up immediately when I saw the caller ID. "Hey, Han. What's up?"

"I need something to do," Hanni said on the other end, her voice a mix of frustration and boredom. "So, tell me-do you want cookies?"

"Cookies?" I laughed, already walking toward my kitchen. "You're going to bake?"

"I've done nothing but lie in bed all day. I need to do something productive. So yeah, I'm baking to pass time," she explained, her voice brightening a bit.

"Cookies sound great, but don't overwork yourself. It might trigger your cramps," I said, reaching into the cabinet for a glass.

"Stop acting like my mom. I'll be fine," Hanni laughed. "I'll let you know when they're ready."