Chapter 9: Selene

CHAPTER 9

SELENE

*Day 2

*Early afternoon

*In this: Sasha, Selene, Nesaia

*Cellar > Armory

Teleporting back into the cellar, I check on man who we detained earlier. He's beginning to stir. I kneel down and touch his hand, utilizing the power Poppy gave me to sedate him long enough for us to figure out what is going on. He slumps back against the wall, resuming his soft snoring. Once I'm sure he's out, I teleport back to the castle.

"Nesaia?" I call out to her telepathically. "Considering we've had a breech, maybe we should go sharpen some weapons? Maybe even practice a little in the practice room?"

"Oh, goodie! I love the armory!" Nesaia says, with a mischievous smirk.

Moments later, Nesaia and I teleport to the armory on the third floor.

The armory is a room containing accouterments and armor throughout time. The walls are mostly adorned with Asian, European, American, and medieval weapons. Some are in display cases while others are on hooks.

Often used weapons are in cabinets and drawers. Weapons hanging throughout the castle are waxed by castle residents twice a year. However, the ones in the armory are waxed and or sharpened once a month or more. This is a necessity to keep them in top working performance.

I grab some blades from some stands and place them on the table while Nesaia fetches the wax. I carry one at a time to the sharpener in the corner of the room where the furnishings, wall, and flooring will be protected from any flying sparks. Sharpeners and whetstones for a variety of blades and weapons reside here. Anything from ancient to modern.

I use the larger whetstone to sharpen this particular sword before handing it off to Nesaia. She hands me yet another one to sharpen. After a while, we sit before the ones we've sharpened, waxed, or polished.

Soon, I hear Sasha yelling in my head. "What is it?" I ask.

"Selene! Where are you?!"

"Third floor," she replies, "why?"

"Where though?" she asks, needing more specifics.

"Armory."

"What are you doing in the armory?"

"We're tending to some weapons should we need them in a fight soon," I explain.

"Oh, okay. I'll be right there."

"You, okay?" Nesaia asks as she notices my concentration and communication face.

"Yes. I was talking to Sasha. She seems excited about something."

"She's always excited or complaining about something," Nesaia points out.

I tilt my head to the side with lifted eyebrows. She's not wrong. "Anyway, she'll be here in a few minutes."

"Guys, guys!"

I hear Sasha's voice before I see her.

A second later, Sasha runs into the room, losing her balance as she struggles to stop.

My eyes widen instantly at seeing Sasha losing her balance. I run to her with super speed and catch her, preventing her from falling. If she had, she would have fallen into the glass display case holding scimitar swords. "Whoa, there. Careful in here. I don't want you getting hurt."