Chapter 16: Jealousy and Laughter

The warm morning sun spilled into the cozy café where Jungkook sat with Jin and Namjoon, the air filled with the rich aroma of coffee and freshly baked pastries. They were in good spirits, discussing their plans for the upcoming weekend while Jin entertained them with his collection of grandpa jokes.

“Why did the scarecrow win an award?” Jin asked, pausing for dramatic effect. Jungkook and Namjoon leaned in, ready for the punchline.

“Because he was outstanding in his field!” Jin burst out, his laughter contagious.

Namjoon groaned, but Jungkook chuckled, shaking his head. “You’re terrible, Jin,” he said, laughing.

Their laughter echoed in the café until it was abruptly cut off by a loud, infectious laugh coming from just outside the window. Jungkook turned, his eyes widening in surprise. There stood Jimin, his bright smile lighting up the morning. But what caught Jungkook's attention even more was the guy standing next to him—a tall, lanky figure with a charming grin, clearly making Jimin laugh with his antics.

Jungkook's heart sank as he watched Jimin lean closer to the stranger, their chemistry apparent. Jimin's laughter rang out again, a sound that had always brought Jungkook joy, now twisting painfully in his chest. He suddenly felt a wave of jealousy wash over him.

“Who’s that?” Jin murmured, his voice barely above a whisper.

Jungkook followed Jim’s gaze, his expression shifting to one of surprise. “Jimin..”

Namjoon, ever the observant one, furrowed his brow. “They seem really close, don’t they?”

Jungkook couldn’t tear his eyes away from Jimin and the stranger. He recalled their last encounter, the rejection that still stung like a fresh wound. Is this why Jimin turned me down? The thought clawed at him, a mix of hurt and confusion swirling in his mind.

Jimin's laughter continued to ring out, infectious and full of life, as the guy playfully nudged him. Jungkook’s heart felt heavy, and he suddenly lost his appetite. The pastries on his plate seemed unappealing, and the coffee that usually warmed him felt cold in his hands.

“Should we go say hi?” Jin suggested, his eyes dancing with curiosity.

“No,” Jungkook replied, shaking his head firmly. “I... I don’t want to interrupt.” His voice was thick with emotion.

Namjoon looked at him, sensing the turmoil brewing within his friend. “You should at least talk to him. It might not be what you think.”

But Jungkook felt like he was being pulled in two directions. Part of him wanted to rush over, to confront the situation head-on, while the other part wanted to retreat and hide his feelings. Instead, he sat frozen in place, watching as Jimin and the stranger shared another laugh.

“Jungkook, just breathe,” Jin said gently, reaching over to pat his back. “You have to remember, Jimin is allowed to have friends. Maybe this guy is just that—a friend.”

But as Jungkook watched Jimin's radiant smile, he couldn’t shake the gnawing feeling in his gut. What if he’s more than a friend? The thought lingered, making his heart ache even more.

As the moments passed, Jungkook felt a resolve begin to form. If Jimin is moving on, then maybe I should, too. But deep down, he knew he wasn’t ready to let go just yet.

With a heavy heart, Jungkook finally tore his gaze away from Jimin and the stranger, focusing instead on his friends. “Let’s just finish our breakfast,” he said, forcing a smile. “I don’t want to ruin the moment.”

Jin and Namjoon exchanged curious glances but nodded, trying to lighten the mood again. Yet, in the back of Jungkook’s mind, he couldn’t shake the feeling that he was losing Jimin to someone else. The laughter that had filled the café moments before felt distant, drowned out by the turmoil brewing within him.