Chapter 19: A Midnight Encounter

“Jimin…” Jungkook called out, his voice breaking through the stillness of the night.

Jimin froze, his heart racing at the sound. He had never expected to run into Jungkook here, at this hour. The midnight air felt heavy, filled with uncertainty, as he instinctively hid his cane behind him, his mind racing with thoughts. What if Jungkook realized the truth? What if he knew?

“Jungkook?” Jimin managed to stammer, his voice shaking. He tried to project calmness, but his hands trembled with fear. The last thing he wanted was for Jungkook to see him as different, as someone unworthy of love.

Jungkook took a few steps closer, the sound of his footsteps echoing in the quiet park. “I’ve been looking for you. I thought… I thought maybe you’d come back here.”

Jimin swallowed hard, desperately trying to maintain his composure. “I—uh… I just needed some air,” he said, avoiding direct eye contact.

Just then, in his anxiety, he nudged his cane unintentionally. It clattered to the ground, rolling away from him, out of reach. Panic surged through him. “No, no!” he whispered, bending down in a futile attempt to grasp it, but it was too far.

“Are you okay?” Jungkook asked, concern creeping into his voice as he stepped closer, alarmed at Jimin's sudden distress.

“I’m fine! Just… give me a moment!” Jimin replied hastily, his heart pounding as he felt around on the ground, his fingers brushing against the cool earth but failing to locate his cane.

Jungkook was there now, kneeling beside him. “Jimin, let me help you,” he offered, reaching out, but Jimin instinctively recoiled.

“No! I can do it!” he snapped, the fear of being exposed overwhelming him. He didn’t want Jungkook to see his struggle, the reality of his blindness. He wanted to protect the fragile facade he had built around himself.

“Please, just let me—” Jungkook started, but Jimin’s heart raced even faster. The warmth of Jungkook’s presence felt both comforting and terrifying.

“Don’t!” Jimin said, his voice more frantic now. “I don’t need help!” His hands continued to fumble, desperation clawing at him as he felt his cane slip further away.

“Jimin,” Jungkook said softly, “you’re scaring me. Just let me help you.”

Jimin felt a wave of shame wash over him. He was scared, scared of the truth, scared of Jungkook’s reaction, scared of everything. “You don’t understand,” he whispered, almost to himself.

“Then help me understand,” Jungkook replied, his tone earnest. “Just tell me what’s going on.”

Jimin took a shaky breath, realizing that he had to make a choice. Would he let Jungkook in, revealing the part of himself he had hidden so deeply, or would he continue to pretend, to hide behind the façade he had built?

“I… I can’t,” Jimin finally admitted, his voice cracking. “I can’t be the person you want me to be.”

The vulnerability in his words hung in the air between them, leaving an ache in Jungkook’s heart. “You don’t have to be anyone but yourself,” Jungkook replied gently, determination in his voice. “I just want to be here for you.”

In that moment, everything felt fragile. Jimin’s hands trembled as he reached out again, this time feeling for the ground, hoping to find his cane before Jungkook could discover the truth. But deep down, he knew that hiding wouldn’t solve anything; the walls he had built were crumbling.

“Please, just let me help you,” Jungkook said again, his voice steady and unwavering.

Jimin hesitated, caught between fear and the yearning for connection, for understanding. Maybe it was time to confront the truth, to face the vulnerability he had been avoiding for so long.