🍃Are you the same?🍃

Sometimes, accepting the truth can make everything better...

I came to this realization one morning after waking up and looking in the mirror. I discovered that the old me, who used to be strong, had become someone unrecognizable. Dark circles under my eyes, drooping eyebrows, a dull face, it's as if I had forgotten what self-care meant.

Doing the same things over and over again felt like obsessive-compulsive behavior. I really began to understand that it's pointless. No matter how much effort I put into searching, it seemed like Jom would never come back.

Or maybe I just had to accept that Jao-Jom was really gone...

I looked out the window of my apartment. While I was grieving, others were going on with their lives. The world kept turning. People might sympathize with me for a moment, but then they would forget and move on. Maybe I needed to hide this pain inside myself and keep living.

I couldn’t die…

Many times, my emotions made me want to leave this world. But then I thought, if I died and Jao-Jom came back, the one who would suffer the most would be her. Losing me would mean nothing to this world, but if Jao-Jom lost me…

Her world would fall apart, just like mine was now.

Since I couldn’t do anything, I had to wake up and be stronger. It wasn’t just Jao-Jom who had me; my mother, my brothers, and many people in the company still depended on me to move forward. With that thought, I got up, took a shower, got dressed, and adjusted my mindset to be better, waiting for the day Jao-Jom would return.

Yes… Jao-Jom would come back.

I went back to work, trying to keep myself as busy as possible to avoid overthinking. I drank alcohol occasionally to help me sleep better, but I wasn’t addicted. Lately, I’ve been having some stomach problems due to gastritis, since I sometimes forget to eat. So, the role of special nurse fell to my siblings, Miriam and Ong.

[Hey, have you eaten today?]

“...”

[You haven’t, have you? Ugh, why do you always make Ong and I worry? You weren’t this careless before.]

You’re complaining like Mom. Alright, I’ll go eat.

[Where are you now?]

Sampeng. Checking out the market to see what styles of bags are popular.

[Checking out Sampeng? Don’t forget to eat. A little further on is Yaowarat. You need to eat, okay? Don’t faint.]

"Yes, yes."

[I love you, did you know that?]

I smiled a little when I heard my sister say that. It was rare for my punk sister to show a warm side. I still remember the day we fought so hard that it got physical.

"Yes, I know. Why are you saying you love me? It’s embarrassing."

[If I love you, you have to love me back. It’s a rule.]

"Is that so?"

[Yes. So if you love me back, you have to eat. I’ll call to check.]

I hung up and laughed a little before getting out of the car after parking. Even though I had promised Miriam, I ended up putting it off because I wanted to finish my chores. As I squeezed through the crowded alleys to get to the other side, my phone rang again. This time, it was the sales manager, sounding apprehensive.

[Ms. Re, an employee at Kimhan’s store, called to report that a customer bought a sample bag. They couldn’t refuse.]

"What?!"