🍃The Story of Us🍃

"Are you serious, Re?"

As soon as my mother saw me come back home to get a few more things, she spoke as I was walking to the car and pressing the remote to leave. I turned to look at her and gave a small smile before nodding.

"Yes."

"So, are you going to live with Jom permanently?"

"If she wants me to stay permanently, then I will. But for now, I will be going back and forth because we need to renovate the place. Some days, I will come to stay here, mother."

"O-okay."

I understood that my mother was worried and anxious since many things were not going according to the natural order. But honestly, this house never had much control over me. Ever since I graduated, found a job, and went abroad after that my father passed away, I became the one taking care of everything. Since I was the breadwinner, all the decisions were mine.

The decision to leave home was the same. Once I made my decision, no one could stop me.

That included having a life partner who was also a woman.

"Aren't you going to get married?"

Mom asked, a little hesitantly.

"If Jom wants to get married, then I will."

"You know what I mean, Re. A marriage between a man and a woman, having children, a complete family."

"Being with another woman doesn't mean the family won't be complete. If you want grandchildren, I can adopt a child if that makes you feel better."

"Re... I know you were born and raised to be independent, making all your own decisions. But I'm worried. What if one day she decides she wants to have a traditional family and marry a man? What will you do then?"

"I'll back off and stay single."

"Why close your opportunities like that?"

"I'm happy now, Mom. And I know life is unpredictable. I want to focus on what I love for as long as possible, and I found that with Jom."

"..."

"Please respect my decision."

"What can I say? I still remember how you were when she disappeared."

Mom nodded understandingly.

"If you think this will really make you happy, I won't stand in your way. Just visit home sometimes, okay?"

This wasn't like a drama where love was forbidden and inheritance was cut off. Okay... maybe if Dad was still alive, things might have been more intense. But he wasn't, so life was simpler now.

A life where I could finally be with Jom for real.

"Yes, Mom."

Today, I had an appointment with an interior designer to measure the space in the apartment that Jom and I had decided to make our love nest. Saying it out loud made me feel a little shy and awkward, but it was happening. We were finally going to live together, like we always joked.

When I arrived, Jom's junior vet greeted me with a wave and pointed upstairs.

"Jom is upstairs."

"Thank you."

When I got upstairs, I found my beloved biting her nails, watching the interior designer measure things, looking worried.

"What's wrong?"

"You're here."

Jom smiled a little and put her arm through mine, rubbing her head affectionately against my arm.