Back to routine

Emily woke up feeling slightly refreshed, though the emotional weight of the past days still hung heavy on her. Today was her first day back at cheer practice, and she knew she had to step up as a leader for the squad. The girls were counting on her, and she was determined to be strong, even if she didn't quite feel it yet.

She glanced at her phone and smiled softly at the sight of the usual morning text from Jake. It was something simple—just checking in on her—but it brought her a sense of comfort. Before getting out of bed, she quickly typed a reply.

Emily: Morning, love. I don't know what I'd do without you. I love you so much. Just wanted to remind you of that.

After hitting send, she got out of bed, throwing on her workout clothes and Jake's hoodie, as usual. She took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for the day ahead. She was thankful for Jake—more than she could express—and knowing he'd always be there for her made everything a bit easier.

When Emily arrived at the gym, she saw Maya already on the treadmill, focused and in her zone. Emily gave her a small wave before heading straight for the weights. Today, she needed to feel the burn, to physically work through some of the emotions that still sat heavy on her chest.

Halfway through her session, she suddenly felt strong arms wrap around her waist. The familiar scent of Jake's cologne washed over her, and she instinctively relaxed, leaning into him.

"Hey, you," Jake murmured softly in her ear. "How's my girl doing?"

Emily smiled, tilting her head back slightly to meet his gaze. "Better, now that you're here."

Jake kissed her cheek. "Good. Just wanted to stop by and see how you're doing before class. You need anything?"

She shook her head, resting her hands on his. "Just you. But I'm okay, promise. I'll see you after practice?"

"Of course," Jake said, giving her a squeeze before reluctantly letting her go. "I love you."

"I love you too," she replied, watching him as he walked off. Her heart felt lighter, even if just for a moment.

After she finished her gym session, Emily took a quick shower in the changing rooms and hurried off to her lecture. The day flew by, and before she knew it, she was flipping through her cheer notes, preparing mentally for practice later.

As she was reviewing formations, the cheer coach approached her, a proud smile on her face.

"Emily, I just wanted to say how impressed I've been with you lately. The squad is looking fantastic under your leadership, and if you keep this up, you've got a real shot at being scouted for one of the NFL cheer squads."

Emily's eyes widened in surprise. "Wow, thank you, Coach. That's... amazing to hear. I hadn't really thought that far ahead yet."

The coach nodded. "I know you've got a lot on your plate right now, but I just wanted to plant that seed. You've got the talent and the dedication. Just something to consider."

Emily smiled, feeling a surge of excitement despite her initial uncertainty. "I appreciate that. I'll definitely think about it."

Halfway through cheer practice, Emily spotted the football team coming onto the field for their session. She was focused on leading the squad through a difficult routine when she noticed Jake jogging toward her, his usual charming grin on his face.

He quickly kissed her, his hands resting on her waist as he looked her over. "You okay? Need anything?"

Emily shook her head, smiling up at him. "I'm good. Just focused. You?"

"Same. Just checking in on my favorite girl," Jake teased before giving her another kiss and jogging back to join his teammates.

When she turned back to her squad, she noticed all the girls grinning at her, their faces full of playful mischief. She couldn't help but laugh.

"Alright, alright, focus, ladies," she said, shaking her head with amusement.

Practice wrapped up smoothly, and as Emily showered and changed, she felt a small sense of normalcy returning. It was a feeling she hadn't had in days. By the time she stepped out of the locker room, Jake was already waiting for her, leaning against the wall with that same grin she adored.

"Ready to go home?" he asked, reaching for her hand.

Emily smiled and nodded, letting him lace his fingers through hers as they walked back to her dorm. It was moments like these—small, simple, and full of love—that made her feel like she could handle whatever came next.